Thread: Is there a Woodcraft Problem?

Is there a Woodcraft Problem?

I've been a Woodcraft customer for over 25 yerars. When they were running their 10% off Laguna sale, I ordered 1 1216 Lathe with cabinet, out-bed extension, and wheels. All items were on backorder until early May except for the wheels. I got a discount on the wheels, but nothing else. When they sent the wheels, they charged me $177 shipping. When I questioned this they said they charge all shipping on the first shipment, but that I won't have to pay anything further on this order for shipping. Today, I received an email saying that the new delivery date is June 14th. I realize that there is always a shipping delay on the "one-time" tools, but I now see other online retailers selling the Laguna Tools currently. My question is, "Should I be concerned?"
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan,

I've done some business with Woodcraft and never had any issues. It does seem odd that charge you for shipping so far in advance. Are they going to honor the discount when the tool comes in? I certainly wouldn't pay for the tool in advance. Might want to check some other dealers. Seems like Laguna offers a 10% discount often.

Bill

The only problem I have with WC is I always spend too much money there.

It is is odd that they only discounted the wheels, I would ask for an explanation. If it was ordered during the discount period, they should honor the discount.

I own a retail store and purchase from many different vendors. One vendor’s recliner is ordered in “parts”; the base, the pad, and any accessories are ordered separately on the PO. There is a set price for shipping an entire set of “parts”. If the pad is shipped and the base is backordered, the initial invoice for the pad will include the entire shipping cost.

My point is that this is pretty common, so I wouldn’t be concerned.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 04-27-2019 at 9:00 PM.

I ordered an 18BX and mobility kit from woodcraft during the sale, both were/are backordered, but I got the discount price on both. I ordered through the local store, not online, fwiw.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 04-27-2019 at 9:27 PM.

Thanks for the posts. I was just wondering if they were having financial problems. I don't think they charge your account until they ship. I'm not sure, but I think that I read somewhere that they are a franchise business rather than one big corporation. I did order online. I think I read that some stores do not honor the national discount, but i could be wrong about that, too. I would not have ordered now if I had known that it would take so long to get the product. I also read somewhere, after my original post here, that the revo 12-16 is a "new product" and they are not offering the discount on it. I had been using a a Jet vsr midi lathe, but I think that it was damaged by the fire soot and smoke. The Laguna 12-16 seemed like an upgrade so that's why I ordered it. I guess if the long waiting period is a problem at the manufacturer, then I just have to suck it up.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

All of the Woodcraft stores in my area are Franchisee owned. Depending on their franchise agreement, they may be held to honor national promotions and pricing, or they may live under the “many stores are independently owned and operated and prices and offers may vary...see store for details” or some combination of these.

Franchisees most likely do not carry a lot of inventory (especially large power tools) and would order direct from the manufacturer as sales occur. This puts the franchisee at the mercy of current manufacturer inventory/availability.

Online orders are likely processed by the Corporate office. In some franchise businesses, orders within a certain radius of a franchisee’s location, are forwarded to them (or credited to them). If convenient, I always find it better to make major purchases through the local franchisee which in most cases will provide better after sales assistance/service.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 04-29-2019 at 7:26 AM.

A year ago I went to my local WC to purchase a SawStop which has an annual promotion for a free mobile base or above table dust dust collector system. I was near the end of the promotion period and the saw was sold out. However they honored the promotion provided I made the purchase before the end of the promotion period. Since it was only a few days before the saw was back in stock, I made the purchase and got the promotion deal. The store even went so far as to "loan" me the mobile base kit so I could assemble the saw (it is easiest to attach the base first) and asked that I just bring back the base I received after applying for the promotion. The store couldn't have been more pleasant about the entire deal. I think the problem has to do with their suppliers and how the deal is arranged with the sellers.

Thanks for the posts. I did receive my lathe last week and am now waiting for the stand and bed extension which are supposed to come June 14th. The initial charge to my account including all shipping charges of about $170 plus the stand. The 2nd shipment, of the lathe, resulted in the entire balance for all items being charged. I think my problem is probably that I just don't understand how the purchase procedures work or how long back orders take to ship. However, I can avoid future concerns by not buying major things on back order.
    Project Salvager

I worked in retail for years. I have no clue about Woodcraft but would be shocked if they stocked inventory in their warehouse. My guess they just process the order and the tool is shipped from the manufacture.
    If it were me, I would call Laguna direct and see if they are out of stock or whats up.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I've been a Woodcraft customer for over 25 yerars. When they were running their 10% off Laguna sale, I ordered 1 1216 Lathe with cabinet, out-bed extension, and wheels. All items were on backorder until early May except for the wheels. I got a discount on the wheels, but nothing else. When they sent the wheels, they charged me $177 shipping. When I questioned this they said they charge all shipping on the first shipment, but that I won't have to pay anything further on this order for shipping. Today, I received an email saying that the new delivery date is June 14th. I realize that there is always a shipping delay on the "one-time" tools, but I now see other online retailers selling the Laguna Tools currently. My question is, "Should I be concerned?"
    Do you not have a Woodcraft store in your area? If you do, Kinda surprised they charged you shipping. I buy tools from a local dealer and have never been charged shipping for an item they did not have. I do have to go to the store and pick up.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    My guess they just process the order and the tool is shipped from the manufacture.
    If it were me, I would call Laguna direct and see if they are out of stock or whats up.
    That's my understanding: most large power tools WC sells are drop shipped directly from the manufacturer.

Glad your lathe has already been delivered!

No Woodcraft Store here. The closest store is 190 miles one way. We do have a Home Depot and Lowes, but I mostly buy onLine since the local stores do not always have some things that they normally stock. I can get free shipping to the local stores, but sometimes that may take a couple of weeks to get here. This is just one of the problems of living in a small town in the boonies. I'm willing to pay the price to live here though, even though my home was partially destroyed by wildfire last year.
    Project Salvager