Thread: Feed rate for cutting melamine

Feed rate for cutting melamine

I am looking for someone that has some experience with cutting melamine faced particleboard on a CNC router.
    I will need to mill 1/8" deep recesses for metal plates with a 3" diameter spoilboard type cutter; can anyone suggest feed rates, chip load, rpm that would give me a high quality finish?

There has been some discussion here in the past you might do a Search. You might list your machine and spindle motor size.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-27-2019 at 5:50 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply, i will check past posts. I can't list the machine and spindle as this is a new custom machine design that i am working on. I will speak to some tool manufactures next week. I looked online, but the numbers are all over the map, and none are specific to what i need anyway, so just thought that i would see if any had some hands on experience here that i could talk to.

Mark, spindle size is pretty important toward your question as it will affect the depth of the bite (.125" isn't that deep, however) and how much you can push it forward without degrading cutting performance. That's outside of any potential machine deflection as well as motor/servo capabilities. While if sounds like you don't want to disclose a lot of specifics, some kind of baseline is necessary for knowledgable folks to provide guidance. The tables from cutter manufacturers tend to reflect using their bits on heavy production machines and in most cases, the machines they are being used in are more modest cannot provide those speeds and feeds. When you speak with the cutter manufacturers, they are likely going to ask you the same questions: spindle power and machine capabilities.

I will say that it's likely that melamine coated particle board is going to cut pretty easily. I'd be most worried about a clean edge on the coating, personally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim, at this point there is no spindle size chosen. I will use whatever spindle is best. so i will get some recommendations on spindle size from them. Just trying to get an idea of feed rates and spindle rpm. I will probably have to get custom made bits both for the size and edge finish.

I can't list the machine and spindle as this is a new custom machine design that i am working on.
    Well, these are what determine the feedrate.

With a tool like that, finish quality will mostly be determined by how sharp the tool is. With new inserts, it will cut clean. When they get dull, the Melamine will chip.
    Keeping them sharp requires a combination of the highest possible feedrate, at the lowest possible rpm, while still getting a good finish.

On our Morbidelli, I do cut's like these a lot, and usually will cut at 600ipm and 13,000 rpm, with a 15HP spindle.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Thanks Gerry, what diameter bit are you using at those rates? Are you doing through cuts or just partial depth? is is a compression bit? or down-shear?

A 3" spoilboard cutter, like you said.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    A 3" spoilboard cutter, like you said.
    Perfect!,

just wanted to verify. thanks