Thread: Crush-grind recess tool ?

Crush-grind recess tool ?

Could someone measure their (Sorby/Crown/whatever) recess cutter and pass along the dimensions?
    slot width, depth, both off-sets, etc.

I have some stock I can grind so, why not.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by a recess tool. I use crush grind mechanisms and use forstner bits to drill different sized recesses. Can you clarify what you mean by a recess tool.

Crushgrind tool.pdf

Hi, this is what I made from a 19mm (3/4") scraper.

On the drawing of the tool, the dashed line is what you line up with the bottom of the cap to bore the groove in the correct location.

For boring the groove in the base, the end of the tool registers at the upper end of the 38mm bore...........Rod.

4. Based on Rod's reply, I now see what you mean by a recess tool. I don't use one; I remove the tabs on the grind mechanism and epoxy it in place. I also insert the top component without a recess; friction fit plus epoxy.

The top cutter is 3/8 of an inch thick. The groove is down 3/4 of an inch from the top. The bottom of the cut out is 1 5/8 inch from the top. I've seen them made with only one cutter and marks showing the depth. I would think if you held it up to a mechanism you could figure out where to mark the depth of cut. IMG_0443.jpg For what it's worth I use the grooves and epoxy but then I wear a belt with my suspenders.
    Last edited by Dave Fritz; 04-29-2019 at 7:51 PM.

Thanks guys....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Based on Rod's reply, I now see what you mean by a recess tool. I don't use one; I remove the tabs on the grind mechanism and epoxy it in place. I also insert the top component without a recess; friction fit plus epoxy.
    Removing tabs and using epoxy to is a bad idea. Epoxy is brittle. Wood moves with time and weakens the bond. So, take the time to cut the grooves in the mill body and cap. Pressure fit the CrushGrind@ mechanisms into the bill body and cap. Done. If you must use some sort of adhesive, use E6000 or similar. Flexible when cured. Check out Chris West book Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills​, page 132, "Drilling and Fitting A CrushGrind@ Mechanism." - John

I use an allen key inserted into a handle and sharpened. Works a treat.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks John