Thread: Reasonably priced set of large diameter shaker cutters?

Reasonably priced set of large diameter shaker cutters?

I am getting more requests for shaker cabinets and have been doing them with 8" adjustable slotting cutters and a 1/4" slotting cutter but I have to take two steps to do the tenons as my slotting cutters will not go close enough. I would like to reduce the steps and setup time but I still want to be able to do long tenons on the doors so want one with bigger diameter. The ones I have have a hub wider than the cutting width. They do not need to be adjustable. I want 1/4" so I can cut the deeper mortises for the doors with the mortising machine.

Thanks, Larry

Blog Entries
    Cmt 694.022.31 170mm adjustable groover (20-39mm groove width) reversible for tenons. Depth of cut is 54mm, so call it a 2" max tenon length. The discs are flat, so there isnt really a minimum thickness of tenon for these.

Should be about $200 or so
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 04-27-2019 at 8:20 AM.

Not really a fan of CMT but did look. None of mine are reversible, that would work.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 04-27-2019 at 8:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Not really a fan of CMT but did look. None of mine are reversible, that would work.
    I was with you on cmt, though ive picked up a few of their insert cutter heads because they inexpensive and they worked fine.

Blog Entries
    2" sounded short to me, so i checked the one i have today. If i use amana shims it will cut a 2.5" tenon. The shims it comes with are just shy of 2.5" in diameter.

2" is what I normally do on large cabinet doors. The one you listed is 170mm, but I did find a 200mm at Scott/Sargent. 200 will let me use a nice fence with an aluminum bar at the tenon level. I don't have a slider so have to use jigs. The bar gives me peace of mind. Thanks Jared.

Blog Entries
    2" is what I normally do on large cabinet doors. The one you listed is 170mm, but I did find a 200mm at Scott/Sargent. 200 will let me use a nice fence with an aluminum bar at the tenon level. I don't have a slider so have to use jigs. The bar gives me peace of mind. Thanks Jared.
    Out of curiosity what brand/model head did you get? I didn't notice a 200mm from Scott Sargent.

Now I can not find it, may have been at a different vendor. Meant to bookmark, then the phone rang...........

I think it was a Stark. I would actually rather have steel as I am not short on power.

I see a Unitronix shaper with a slider came up for sale in the east coast, has me thinking about that. Don't have room for another tool, but would like to have the tenoning table. Thing is I HAVE grown used to the double spindle and the huge table, adding the tenoning table on the end would make it about 11 feet long. Thanks for your help, would not have thought about reversing, one of those DUH moments.

Blog Entries
    Now I can not find it, may have been at a different vendor. Meant to bookmark, then the phone rang...........

I think it was a Stark. I would actually rather have steel as I am not short on power.

I see a Unitronix shaper with a slider came up for sale in the east coast, has me thinking about that. Don't have room for another tool, but would like to have the tenoning table. Thing is I HAVE grown used to the double spindle and the huge table, adding the tenoning table on the end would make it about 11 feet long. Thanks for your help, would not have thought about reversing, one of those DUH moments.
    Ha, I hate when that happens.
    Yeah i like steel heads better myself as well.

I just missed a unitronix/gomad dffa5 with tilt a couple months ago.. still kicking myself for that one. Didnt have the tenoning table though.

I love my double spindle Unitronix. Wish I had a spindle height readout as getting old, but I think if I found a tilt with a table I would give it up. It is nice leaving both sides of a door setup in place until you know you are done. I have dropped parts and needed to make a new one a couple of times. Two shapers would do the same thing, but I just get a kick out of the double. Tilt and a table would pull me away from it though. I miss my big shop with all the room but needed to slash overhead so I could slow down and not work for a building.