Thread: bowl carved in burl ?

bowl carved in burl ?

i want to expose the grain inside these manzanita burls. this trunk is 10" x 24" with these burls. i want a perfect bowl cut[4" in largest burl,3" in next burl} depth 0 to 1" will show some amazing grain. plan on sanding to 2000. how can i do this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assuming you intend to do this work without using a lathe (folks in the turning forum can help you with that operation), you can combine using a router for rough stock removal with a ball nose bit and either a trammel or a series of patterns followed by hand carving/sanding to a smooth, circular finish. It's going to be hard to get "perfect" bowls without using a spinny-thing-tool, however, for this operation, you'll need a stout lathe to safely turn the two bowls off-center and remarkably unbalanced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i found this for the 3" and smaller. i can do 2 bowls on the large burl and 1 on the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure how you're planning to do this, but if that is a 3" wide bit (appears to say 1 1/2" radius), I wouldn't want to hand hold my router when that bit encountered the wood. The ball nose bit Jim mentioned would be a lot easier to control.

Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    i found this for the 3" and smaller. i can do 2 bowls on the large burl and 1 on the other.
    You cannot use a big cutter like that in a hand-held router! MAJOR dangerous!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i wouldnt even think of trying it in a hand held router. i am really good at making jigs for whatever i need to do.

i am going to look at the pully of my drill press and see if it can be changed for higher speed. i can rig something that will work. heck, i turned a 6 3/4" makita hand planer into a jointer.

The vibration of a router bit in the drill press may loosen the chuck and off it comes. That's why drill presses make lousy milling machines and overhead routers.

I haven't quite figured out if the burls are staying on the trunk and scooped out or if you are cutting the burls off and cutting them hollow. Look for the nearest turning club if the latter and they can help you out. If the former I would hand carve it with carving gouges. You'd be surprised how close to perfect you can get with the gouges.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    The vibration of a router bit in the drill press may loosen the chuck and off it comes. That's why drill presses make lousy milling machines and overhead routers.

I haven't quite figured out if the burls are staying on the trunk and scooped out or if you are cutting the burls off and cutting them hollow. Look for the nearest turning club if the latter and they can help you out. If the former I would hand carve it with carving gouges. You'd be surprised how close to perfect you can get with the gouges.
    the burls will stay on. i think i can do it with that router bit if i first use a 2" forstener bit and start a pilot hole with it. with that router bit i will only be going down maybe 1/2" center to 0 outside so im not removing alot of wood. i will be practicing on softer wood first. i can carve it but i like to find the fastest way to do something.

I have used the arbortec mini to carve a bowl from a mallee burl before I had my lathe. I was less worried about a perfect circle, but it did a nice job of revealing the grain. https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....3&d=1241272248
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    I have used the arbortec mini to carve a bowl from a mallee burl before I had my lathe. I was less worried about a perfect circle, but it did a nice job of revealing the grain. https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....3&d=1241272248

maria, nice job on that bowl. i want the perfect circles on these because its a contrast to the outside edges of the burls. i have worked with manzanita for over 20 years. my business is all manzanita based products that i sell to businesses all over the world. i have run into burls before but nothing like this so i want it to be perfect. it will be awhile before it is dry enough.

Thanks Jim,
    I love manzanita (northern CA native). Since you are a jig builder, you might look into a pendulum type jig for your router. I've seen one on youtube that pivots in two directions simultaneously, which gave the advantage of not having to rotate the wood but still could make a circle. Good luck and post your results. I'm sure it will be stunning!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

The woodturning concept applied here would be a "winged bowl", if I'm understanding your intent correctly - you intend to retain the length of the log while having a bowl embedded in the middle of it. A few examples.

No chance finding someone with a lathe?

How are you planning to hold the piece steady for the routing?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    No chance finding someone with a lathe?

How are you planning to hold the piece steady for the routing?
    i can remove 90% of the wood using other means and use that router bit for the last 10%. this piece might end up as a lamp or a coffee table base. i just want to show the grain inside these burls.