Thread: Help With Accuris Laser?

Help With Accuris Laser?

Hey all. Purchased a second hand Accuris Powersharp 42 back in 2012 and have had it working well since. We've had the laser tube serviced once but Signwarehouse (who re-branded from LTT) has been pretty crappy with service these days. Long story short, the laser was moved, sat for a few months, and now I can't get it to work right. It throws no errors and acts fine but can't get any beam.

It has been awhile since I've worked on this one, but the green "open" light is on in the back of the machine under the laser shroud. We did test all of the door magnets with voltmeter and the main board light shuts off when the doors are shut, but that little green led stays on.

I've tested via alignment/trickle/test fire with a piece of carbon paper right up against the exit of the laser tube, so it cant be mirror alignment.

Thoughts? This thing is so old that it is becoming hard to justify using it, but I'm just a hobbyist and can't afford a new one (this one was at an auction in '12 for $1500!).

I'd be willing to have someone with more knowledge of the darn thing look at it if there was someone close by. I can't even find schematics of the boards to figure out what some of these diodes mean. Any advice is appreciated.

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.co...is-manual-2-0/ Link to manual, so if the beam is not even on why did you want to check the mirror alinement? Do you have a meter to check the switches when the power is turned off? Ohmmeter that is.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The manual is not particularly helpful, and features mostly set up and cleaning instructions. No identification for anything on the main or side boards. This issue is beyond it, unfortunately. I generally tend to attempt to fix smaller issues first (especially since this laser worked just fine the last time used), so it went from "maybe the door switches got bumped loose" to alignment, then to beam firing, etc. The machine claimed that the beam was firing, so I took it at its word at first ha. Checked magnetic switches and pretty much any other switch we could find with the ohmmeter as well and everything checked out fine. The only thing I can really think of is the transformer down in the back of the machine that allows power to the laser, but it also seemed to be functioning, and the metal laser tube powers up without any issue.

Still working on this, but no luck with the original seller (sign warehouse). I was told to contact LTT, but good luck with that ha ha.

I own a GCC 'Pinnacle'/Explorer, a Sign Warehouse item. While it appears your Accuris isn't a GCC machine, I see that it IS a built-in-Taiwan machine...

Twice since I've owned mine I've had an "issue", first time time the laser started slowing down, the stopped firing the laser, then just stopped, all in the course of a minute or so. A telltale was the LCD screen was losing 'black'. Second time was about 15 months later, machine didn't falter the but screen started to white out again.

Had no idea what to do except fall back on my old standby fix: clean every connector I could find.
    This is what I did, and you should try:

First, get a couple of cans of this:
    lectramotive.jpg
    --this stuff works great and is totally non-electric conductive and non flammable- I've sprayed it into running electric motors, no drama... It's mostly dry-cleaning fluid so the smell is a bit much but it works...

Open up all your side doors and find everything and anything where wires and plugs are connected...
    wires1.jpgwires2.jpg
    first, douse EVERYTHING with the cleaner. Won't hurt a thing and will clean out all the dust.

Next, unplug every connector you CAN unplug, spray both sides, re-plug. If you can pull IC chips, pull them and spray them too. On screwed-down connections, loosen the screws, liberally spray, tighten the screws...

Do this EVERYWHERE, stepper motor connections, display connections, anything you get access to...

Like I said, I've done this twice and it worked like magic, hopefully it may help your machine. If not, at least you'll know all the connections are good to go!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you for the advice. I won't be able to try this for a bit but was starting to lose hope. I can't imagine what is causing this issue, but I didn't consider anything other than checking to see if they WERE connected...not cleaning and then reconnecting (my subconscious probably tried to spare me the horror). Seems like a good next step. We dusted pretty thoroughly with low pressure compressed air, but this seems like a better bet.

EDIT: Also, apparently I can't access pictures yet with my member level? Pretty odd and unhelpful feature there haha.
    Last edited by mike Crawford; 05-26-2019 at 2:59 AM.

Maybe you can see these?

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I Have had good response from LTT with drivers so give them a try. We have a powersmart (2006) running as good as new (not used every day) This problem happened to us and it ended up being the door latch magnets. I know you have tested but check again. I wish you luck getting it goind again.

Ron.
    Accuris 14 30 W, Engravelab 7, CorelDraw X4, Photograv 3, Gravotech 3000 plotter

Kev, if that is your machine, it is in much better shape than ours! The first owners of this little guy were pretty rough on it (Even the door covering was slightly warped from causing a fire.) It will take a lot of effort to get it back into shape.

Ron, thanks for the advice. It is going to come down to just dismantling the entire thing at this rate so might as well double and triple check things.

I appreciate the input, fellas.

Those pics are from an Accuris owners manual PDF I found online, so it should very much resemble yours- mine's similar, but all the boards are in different places-
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

An update on this post - I've combed through every wire and connection on this machine that I can get too, even removing panels that I'm sure were never meant to be. I've checked everything at least twice, compared what little photo evidence I have of proper machine wiring etc, and still we cannot get it to fire. The machine tells us that it is on, working, and firing, and the tube activates as it should. I suppose after 2 years of sitting the tube could need to be recharged...but it was recharged before it was put into storage. We have searched high and low, contacting the sellers, signwarehouse, and the two makers (LTT and GCG I think?) and they pretty much said too bad. If anyone knows where a service manual might be hiding, or if anyone does maintenance on these machines and is located in NE Missouri, please let me know.

mike,

my problem isn't exactly yours but i am hoping all the smart people on here can help me. i have a 30W accuris engraver i bought from sign warehouse and the laser tube is pretty much done. anyone know where i can purchase the proper tube from. also, is it possible to put a stronger wattage tube in this machine?