Thread: SawStop Arbor Replacement

SawStop Arbor Replacement

I have a PCS with 3HP motor. Recently started giving false "wet wood" error and shutting down immediately when I try to turn the saw on. I went through the maneuver to check the double-extra-secret extended error code and got a number 17. I called tech support and with that error code they recommended to start by replacing the brake cartridge cable. This is easy enough to do - on paper - but takes a while to actually do it on account of all the funny angles one needs to achieve to remove the all the screws. In any case, this resulted in no change and still getting the same issue. Same extended error code. So now the next step is to replace the arbor block - that apparently has some additional electronics in it and they feel this is the culprit. Unfortunately this requires removing the cast iron top, the double pulley, and some other pieces. Then of course one has to re-mount the top and get it all straight and flat again.... Has anyone else had this experience or had to replace the arbor block for other reasons? Any hints or tricks?

Also wanted to share the method to obtain extended error codes - which as far as I can tell is not in the manual. The standard error codes are listed on a sticker on the side of the switch box. However, once you get one of these regular errors you can hold the bypass key in the on position and the red and green lights flash once. After than the lights will flash in sequence to give a two digit "extended" error code for diagnostic purposes. If you are going to call service, might as well do this first because they may ask you anyways. They do not publish a list of what all the two digit codes actually mean.

Why are you doing this? seems to me that this should be something that SawStop should handle. Like maybe send out a technician to diagnose and fix.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Scott-I have never done this either, but would be very interested to see pictures as you go through the repair. The pictures may help during reassembly as well.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Cheers
    Sean

I don't ever want my cabinet saw to give me an error code. My saw has a mag switch, an anti kick back splitter, and blade guard. I went through a 4yr apprenticeship to learn how to use it safely. But the saw stop definitely has a place..

Blog Entries
    I have (unfortunately) become pretty good at aligning tablesaws. Cabinet mounted trunnions are pretty easy and the adjustment controls on the Saw Stop make this particularly easy. I would not hesitate to take off the top. If there are any washers or shim between top and cabinet, mark them or tape them in place so as to greatly reduce your alignment efforts post reassembly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Why are you doing this? seems to me that this should be something that SawStop should handle. Like maybe send out a technician to diagnose and fix.
    What world do you live in where a tech would come to your house to fix it? You have to pay Felder money for that service, and you do pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What world do you live in where a tech would come to your house to fix it? You have to pay Felder money for that service, and you do pay for it.
    I live in a world where I expect the amount of service I get to be proportional to the amount I pay for the item. In the OP's case SawStop has already diagnosed the saw wrong and now their solution is that the OP needs to remove the arbor. That may be reality but it doesn't seem right to me.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

You can expect whatever you want, but their warranty terms state they provide diagnosis and replacement parts if under warranty, that’s it. The price of the saw would be a lot higher if you want them to cover the cost of travel and personnel to come fix it on the spot.

How old is this saw?

It’s three years old. We had a severe thunderstorm recently with lots of lightning. I suppose a sudden power spike during the storm could be the culprit here. They sent me detailed instructions with very clear pictures so hopefully it will go smoothly.

"We had a severe thunderstorm recently with lots of lightning. I suppose a sudden power spike during the storm could be the culprit here. "
    --Scott Berstein

That is why I keep all of my machines unplugged when not in use.

We had a similar error on an early generation "CB" ICS saw a few years ago. The diagnosis from SawStop was an arbor block replacement and they set us up with a kit of parts (arbor, shaft, pulley, disconnect, control box) and pretty thorough instructions on how to upgrade our early "clear cartridge" saw to a current equivalent "blue cartridge". The upgrade kit was $300 in 2015 - I cannot think of any other company that prices parts and upgrades so reasonably.

Other than some heavy lifting, the swap and realignment was not too much of a problem and didn't take more than a few hours. As Glenn Bradley indicated, SawStop has done a good job of making their designs serviceable and adjustments easy to dial in. I probably didn't hurt that I had recently broken down my own ICS pretty thoroughly to get it into my basement.

P1040605.jpg

Good luck!
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I have replaced the cable and I would rate the experience as Miserable. Replacing the belt, annoying (unrelated but it had a worn spot and while I was in there...). Ended up replacing the control box which is easy peasy.
    Chuck