Thread: Moisture meters

Moisture meters

As a wood carver, I'd like to know the percentage of moisture in the basswood boards I use. I'm told that 12% is good for chip carving. So, I began my shopping for a moisture meter. I am amazed at the price range of these meters. Will a $12 meter do the same thing as a $200 meter? Keep in mind I will be using this tool occasionally. Any advice is appreciated!

I have a cheppy one that works. Just bought it after 60 yrs of woodworking. Now I ask what the heck do I need that for? Can’t do anything about moisture other than to let it set longer? If it carves good go for it. If not grab another piece. Just my thoughts but it might start a good conversation Dan

Steve - Moisture meters give approximations that can vary quite a bit depending on diff things such as actual board density, grain pattern at checking point, etc.

They do not give finite readings like an electrical VOM does.

Whether pin or pinless.

Even when aware of proper test procedure they can be quite frustrating to use.

I have a Mini Ligno Scanner SD, not cheap, it helps, not perfectly definitive.

Many have sufficient success w the $30 pin meters, at least good enough to bring to supplier when shopping.

From what I am picturing from reading your post - for a final check - you should consider the weigh/ oven dry/ weigh method.

THAT gives the most accurate reliable answer.

Very accurate digital gram jewelers scales available at Amazon for under $15.

Marc

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=scale+dig...st_review-rank
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Here's links from two well respected companys that shows you what the main problem is that makes readings very subjective.

You can have two percivably "Identical" boards in all ways and they can read a few % +- EVEN IF the actual MC is exactly the same.

Even a board that has fully and EVENLY equilibriumed MC THROUGHOUT can READ a few % points +- variance test spot to test spot.

So, thought through, the oven method is the only definitive method for anything more than ballpark at the lumber yard readings.

Marc

https://www.delmhorst.com/correction-tables#species

https://www.wagnermeters.com/support/wagner-manuals/
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Of course, the larger the piece within scale capacity, but not too big to confidently thoroughly dry, will give the most accurate answer.

Marc

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...71.7BFT3aQXyqI
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 04-28-2019 at 9:52 AM.

Heck, I would get the scale... set it on workbench next time you are carving... IMMEDIATELY after creating some chips weigh the little pile, then do the drying test.

Will tell you exactly what you were just carving.

Marc

I have a "cost effective" meter and have used very expensive ones. I can own any meter made and I do use mine a lot, but stopped short of spending a lot of money on one. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to be dead on exact, but in terms of moisture content how accurate do you really need to be??? I find that within a few percentage points is fine. If my target is 12% and the board tests 14%.....I am going for it. So far, I haven't had any problems with it being so far off to cause problems later.
    All that said, I don't carve wood either. If a few percentage points on the moisture content causes wood to be unworkable or very difficult to carve as opposed to lose 2% and easily get the job done then go with the weight method. Again, I don't carve wood, but it really seems like to me that whetting up the chisel to be as sharp as you can get it would negate the effects of a 2% moisture content difference. About the closest I have ever got to carving wood is checkering gunstocks. I find that species of wood varies the "checkerability" way more than moisture....probably not a good analogy though.