Thread: Jet JJP-8BT 8” Benchtop Jointer

Jet JJP-8BT 8” Benchtop Jointer

Any one have experience or feedback on this machine? One popped up locally on CL for $300 OBO. Looks to be in good shape. I currently am only able to edge joint with me router table. I am limited on space and have been considering a dedicated jointer but don’t have the room for a large machine.

Thoughts?

No experience, but for a bench top machine, you still need a bench and something like that isn't lightweight...so it stays on the bench. Think about whether or not there really is space savings vs a floor standing version (has it's own "bench") with a mobility setup so you can tuck it away in a corner or under a work surface when not in use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

when I first got into wood-working I had purchased a delta model that was similar but 6". The bed was so short that it wasn't good for anything more than 2 feet long and it really wasn't super heavy so it had significant vibrations. I don't know if the JET would have the same issue but i'd look for something just a little bigger / heavier even with the limited shop space.

I'm not sure that's the model I saw demo'd but it's similar. It might work on small pieces - less than 2' perhaps - but it's really light and flimsy feeling. You have to remove the jointer tables to use the planer function. I'd be concerned about how accurate the jointer beds would be if removed and replaced frequently. I'd look for some videos of the machine in action. I viewed it as a waste of money, put the money I'd have spent on the benchtop toward a Jet JJP-12. I'm happy with that, does what I need it to do but it's certainly not portable - weighs around 500 lbs.