Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very basic need for a laser.

Family.jpgWell.........I have received my new laser this week. I got the Boss. Very excited. Just got it set up and ran a test file. Now I have to learn how to use it and what to do with it!!!! I am hoping someone can answer this question. I ran a file to engrave and attached a photo. I was expecting it to make the inside of the letters black. But it is not coming out that way. I have tried a few power settings but still the same thing. Does anyone know a trick to get it to be burnt inside black? I appreciate the help. I am completely new to this machine.Family.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Webber; 06-22-2019 at 5:04 PM.

All wood will engrave differently . Taking the material out of focus will help darken the engraving , but most likely with out real high power your not going to get a burnt black, and even then it will depend on the type of wood. There a product called Laser Dark which will darken the engraving. A trick I've used is to seal the wood before engraving then use a ebony stain to fill the engraving, but this method often results in the stain bleeding into the wood. I've also seal the wood after engraving then used black acrylic paint to fill the engraving this works pretty good but it doesn't have the burned in look. Its going to be trial and error till you find a look you like.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webber View Post
    Does anyone know a trick to get it to be burnt inside black?
    Species will dictate much of the 'tone'. Slower speed with higher power will char the wood more...you could do a vector outline to add some 'pop' also. Defocus the bed too to increase the spot size. Test and log your results.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Apply a low-tack paper mask, engrave, paint fill with a few light coats of flat black enamel, then remove the mask. This process is simple and results in perfect black engraving every time.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webber View Post
    Family.jpgWell.........I have received my new laser this week. I got the Boss. Very excited. Just got it set up and ran a test file. Now I have to learn how to use it and what to do with it!!!! I am hoping someone can answer this question. I ran a file to engrave and attached a photo. I was expecting it to make the inside of the letters black. But it is not coming out that way. I have tried a few power settings but still the same thing. Does anyone know a trick to get it to be burnt inside black? I appreciate the help. I am completely new to this machine.Family.jpg
    Off topic response, but if you're using a Boss, You may want to replace the RDWorks software that it came with and give LightBurn a try. Much more user friendly than RDWorks and has a lot more capabilities as well. 30 day free trial to give it a spin.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

5 things are certain:
    Death
    Taxes
    Everyone who buys a laser expects wood to go black
    Everyone needing wood to be lasered expects wood to go black.
    Lasered wood hardly ever goes black.

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    5 things are certain:
    Death
    Taxes
    Everyone who buys a laser expects wood to go black
    Everyone needing wood to be lasered expects wood to go black.
    Lasered wood hardly ever goes black.

an't that the truth LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Yep. And a lot of times if I get a decent black, it brushes right out.... Paint fill or laserblack
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Links are fine here as long as they are pertinent to the discussion and are not advertising related.