Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very basic need for a laser.

Is the "open bottom" like the CNC set up that just has it as an attachment? That is what I have now. It is just way too slow.

Kev, sorry, but what is a GCC? I need it to be reliable as I am using it now every day, all day. Just because it is so slow and takes so long for one name. I am leaning towards the Boss just because of customer support (and it is under $6k) as it is my first real laser machine and feel I might need it (I know it is Chinese but the cost difference is getting me). Most engravings are 2"x 14" or under. Some get longer so wanted the longer engraving area. But if I can do part of it, and then slide it to the next section, this can be a work around for those longer ones. But then I am challenging myself reading other people who buy direct and save so much money for the same machine. Just trying to make the best decision.

Does the engraving leave the charcoal black look inside the letters like in my photo? I was assuming it does, but you should never assume!

Charles, I have a 30w GCC Explorer -aka Pinnacle- laser that I bought from Gary a few years ago-

exp.jpg this machine has 38 x 20" work area
    Note the door in front, it opens down allowing for long parts. The back door, which the exhaust is connected to, also drops down if need be. The point in my last post is that I can engrave a 40" long part via the front door, by engraving the part in two 20" sections..

these are pics of the ebay machine- indeed, it's as basic and cheesy as they come, but it WOULD do all you need, up to 24" in normal use, and the passthru would allow for longer parts engraved sectionally.
    pd2.jpgpd1.jpg
    But I DO understand your need for a reliable machine and customer service, and for that reason I'd strongly advice NOT buying this machine!

I'd suggest Triumph as I have 2 of their machines and they've worked well for me, however, their smaller format machines -500x300 and 600x400- have no pass thru capability. Shame, because they can likely beat Boss's price.

As to engraving wood black- engraving wood with a better-than-diode laser is a crap shoot as to the darkness/lightness of the burn. However, running a finish pass well out of focus works well for many users...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Sorry, I was traveling for a couple of days. I contacted Boss and their pass through doors are now side to side and front to back. So I guess that helps a lot! I just hate spending $5K for a Chinese laser machine. Someone talk me out of it! LOL

[QUOTE=Charles Webber;2923224]Sorry, I was traveling for a couple of days. I contacted Boss and their pass through doors are now side to side and front to back. So I guess that helps a lot! I just hate spending $5K for a Chinese laser machine. Someone talk me out of it! LOL[/QUOTE
    OK DON"T DO IT
    O
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I got the quote from Boss Laser. It is as follows:

L-1420 Gen V: $4,394

Comes with:
    Laser CO (65W), Tube
    Pump Air
    CorelDraw Graphics Suite (2018)
    Fan, Exhaust (4" 110v)
    Tubing, Exhaust 4"
    Machine stand included

I am paying $495 for the Water Chiller CW-3000
    Total $4,924

Before I pull the trigger, any advice on something I am not thinking about? There is a chiller 5000 model for $895. Would this be worth it? Any body get a better price? Don't know if they ever go on sale.
    Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webber View Post
    I got the quote from Boss Laser. It is as follows:

L-1420 Gen V: $4,394

Comes with:
    Laser CO (65W), Tube
    Pump Air
    CorelDraw Graphics Suite (2018)
    Fan, Exhaust (4" 110v)
    Tubing, Exhaust 4"
    Machine stand included

I am paying $495 for the Water Chiller CW-3000
    Total $4,924

Before I pull the trigger, any advice on something I am not thinking about? There is a chiller 5000 model for $895. Would this be worth it? Any body get a better price? Don't know if they ever go on sale.
    Thanks!!!!
    The 3000 is not a chiller, just a water pump basically. The 5000 is an actual chiller. Spend the extra money and get the 5000. During warm weather, you won't regret it.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Not too long ago I got a CW-5200 chiller on ebay for $500, right now on ebay same machine is $555, free shipping, it is FAR superior to the 3000. Mine is collecting dust...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

+1 on the 5000 or 5200 the 3000 is not a chiller just pumps water does not cool it
    5000 on ebay for 525
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 05-11-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the chiller matter to what the machine is, or do they hook up to any machine? Per your advice I am looking at the chillers on ebay. They all say 80w or higher. The machine I am getting is 65w.

You can put that on any machine the hoses are all the same size. there are many on 40 watt units that run just fine. the cooler will only chill when needed

ditto Jerome. And if I may, I would advise buying the 'genuine CW 5200' chiller on ebay, because it's simply the best unit. There are counterfeits out there (google that, there are 'how to spot counterfeits' websites to check out)-- they work for awhile but the story goes they start leaking due to shoddy parts; are made with incompatible materials lead to fast corrosion, etc...

I noticed many of the chillers on ebay are the 'Vevor' brand-- that happens to be the brand of the Ebay fiber lasers I, and several others have bought, and so far we're all happy with them, far as I know anyway. HOWEVER, I have no idea how well they build a refrigerated chiller. But I DO know how well CW builds them, so far mine has worked flawlessly, and it's very nice not having to add a 20' coil of copper tubing and dunk it in ice water in a storage container so I can finish my cutting jobs!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Sorry to be high maintenance, but could you supply a link to the one you recommend. You made me worried about the generic brands. Just want to make sure I get a good one!
    THANKS!

Also, for anyone looking at buying a machine from China soon, you might want to consider purchasing quick as they just implemented a 25% tariff on China goods. I am not sure how soon it will go in affect so it might increase the cost of the machines.

Mod's don't like links, so, do this:

search: S&A cw-5200 DG/DH water chiller
    seller: cnsigntech

Same one and same seller as mine, and as before, best price I found for the same unit...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter