Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need clamps for my new shop..

I really like and agree with Glenn's list. I use pipe clamps a lot,I will probably be banned from SMC for life after that statement... Anyhow I also use handscrew clamps a ton. They are one of my favourites. Also have the 20 or so small clutch less F style clamps handy for all kinds of stuff. Way back when I started collecting tools I stumbled on Record c clamps and still have and use 8-10 of those. I do have 8 or 10 Jorgeson parallel clamps that I do use,I have never developed the affection that so many have for these clamps. YMMV. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I really like and agree with Glenn's list. I use pipe clamps a lot,I will probably be banned from SMC for life after that statement...
    So - is there a SMC hatred for pipe clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kraakenes View Post
    So, my small 320sqf L-shaped home shop is soon finished, and I need clamps. I have previously just done green woodworking, so this is my first actually place to do 100% dedicated woodworking.. albeit with just hand tools. I own a miter saw, a jigsaw, dust extractor, and dont intend to bring other power tools into the shop.

What types should I get, now that I can start fresh and get 80-90% of the clamps I need.. so I intend to buy in bulk or wait for a sale to get them all.

I would prefer clamps made in the US or Europe. So Dubuqe or Bessey?

Are there certain sizes I should get more of?
    "Small"? For a hand tools shop, 320 sqf is not small, it is pretty decent size, except if you plan to work with carpentry where trousers and beans can require huge work space - not the case for furniture.

I think you have some previous experience in the task, so your history is the best guide liner to estimate your best size and amount for clamps. In case of doubt I simply would buy a clamp kit (Bessey has it available) with something around four clamps from each size and after a while I would use your actual experience to expand your collection with the sizes and amount you really need (and use).

I am leaned towards Bessey as I have no experience with Dubuque. For general application I prefer F-clamp instead parallel ones - although for some applications parallel clamps are great despite their abusive price. Besides their price, remember parallel clamps are big and heavy. Some people will find difficult to cope with them.

I desire you good luck in your decision.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Nope. While many of us "prefer" parallel clamps, many of the same folks also have pipe clamps for when pipe clamps are the right solution or to increase the stable at lower cost. I even have two 11 foot pipe clamps and actually used them recently for a project. Pipe clamps are also a good entry point for someone who needs a lot of clamps "now" and doesn't have a winning lottery ticket to buy what's needed. As to what I use...100% were bought on sale over the years...but I started with the pipe clamps and still have them on the wall ready to use when I run out of my preference in quantity or size.

One other format that's worthy for large glue-ups are aluminum bar clamps. They tend to be mid-priced and are lighter to handle while still providing adequate clamping power for most needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Though there are times the F style clamps with deeper throats are absolutely what I need, I can often get through a project with just my 16 matching H type Bessey pipe clamps. I have a large variety of pipes which allows shorter and longer lengths as needed. I also have a couple of pipe couplings and I occasionally screw pipes together to make really long clamps.

I've made a bunch of furniture with nothing fancier than pipe clamps (3/4 pipe is best if they are 4 feet or longer) and c clamps. I guess I have 6 or 8 18 inch F clamps from harbor freight. Lately I've purchased some harbor freight inexpensive aluminum bar clamps 4 feet long. They are kind of light duty but if my joint fits, they have enough pressure and if it doesn't fit, a stronger clamp is not likely to fix it.

I will also say that I've frequently noted that my nicer tools are easier and nicer to use. I don't think you need expensive clamps but I bet you will like them if you get them.

Grizzly sells a 30 piece set of Bessey Tradesmans. They were my first clamp purchase 15 or 16 years ago. I ended up buying and second set soon after. I now own well over a hundred different clamps of all types and these still my first choice for over 90% of my clamping needs. Be aware, these are not the very similar looking junk they sell at the Borg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 30-piece set of Bessey Tradesman clamps on Grizzly's web site seems to be the same as the 30-piece set of medium-duty Tradesman clamps (TG series) described on Bessey's web site. It's hard to be sure, because Grizzly doesn't provide any specs regarding clamping force that I could find, and they seem to use Grizzly part numbers for the clamps rather than Bessey numbers. If the Grizzly set is just TG series clamps, those are readily available from Home Depot - though I don't think they sell a 30-piece set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Say it isn't so. they lack elegance and finesse, are heavy and can be awkward but, when you need a pipe clamp a pipe clamp is the best tool for the job. Mine only come out about once a year but, they store easily behind a rolling tool box patiently waiting out of the way.

Pipe clamp rack top.jpg

I added cauls/feet to mine.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (8).jpgPipe Clamp Cauls (7).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Put me in the pipe clamp hater camp. I can only think of one reason to ever use them, that's when nothing else could possibly be long enough. Even then, they're so flexy they often just create a new problem to solve.

I needed a 56' long clamp once in 1991. I still have the 3 lengths of 20' long 3/4" black pipe hanging on nails up high in one shop. I don't remember where the couplings are though, so if I ever need one that long again, I guess I'll have to go buy some more couplings. It worked like a charm for what I needed it for.

I may be the odd one out here, but my philosophy on clamps is that more clamps are usually better than better clamps. What I mean is that given a certain amount to spend, I would rather have 10 average (or even slightly sup-par) clamps than 2 really good clamps, because you can do a lot more with 10 average clamps than 2 really good ones.

I think at last count, I had something like 130 or so clamps. Most are cheap imported F clamps, 1/2" Pony pipe clamps, or C clamps. I have a fair amount of heavy duty bar clamps and handscrews also. Of those, I use the cheap F clamps and pipe clamps the most. They just seem the most handy. After that it is the C clamps. Oddly enough, my least used clamps are what most people would consider the "best" clamps, the heavy bar clamps and Jorgerson hand screws; I think I don't tend to use them because their weight makes them clumsy to use.

The below picture is a good example of "more is better" rather than "better is better". A smaller number of better clamps would not have done me any good there. The only "good" clamp in the picture is the deep throat F clamp (which I inherited), and the only reason I used it is because I had run out of lighter (and easier to use) F clamps.

IMG_6170.jpg

You can put me in the "get what you need when you need it" camp. Kind of makes it hard to buy clamps on sale though. Even those of us who make similar things have different methods that require different clamps. Once you get into rhythm you'll know what to watch for.

I use 3/4" pipe clamps extensively. I have several dozen pipe clamps from 30" up to 9' in length, all galvanized so no staining.
    Both Jorgy and Bessey F style in various lengths from 4" up to 24".
    Kreg Automaxx, several with swivel pads and several for the t-track I have installed on my assembly bench.
    Handscrew clamps are sometimes just the ticket. I got some kits, maybe 30 yrs ago, and made my own wood jaws from 4" deep up to 12" deep.
    I did get 2 Bessey parallel jaw clamps just to give them a try. I don't really care for them but sometimes they're exactly what I need.
    I bought a six pack of Bessey Kliklamps on sale a year or two ago that are handy for some things.
    There are two 3" hand spring clamps always within reach on one leg of my bench and more elsewhere.
    Almost forgot the 4 quick grip clamps. They don't get used often but they do get used.
    Probably even more I'm forgetting.

You know it's time to raise a toast when almost every clamp you own is in use and you had enough to finish the job.

Looking around my shop I'd estimate I have upwards of 80 various clamps, not counting the dozen or more I have in my metal shop, I've been accumulating for over 40 yrs. As your woodworking evolves, so will your clamp collections.

If you get pipe clamps, I'd put something on the threads when assembling them. I find the heads have a tendency to unscrew occasionally.

Although they aren't made in NA/Europe, if you need some C-clamps, I'd try the Tekton ones. They're inexpensive and built like tanks.

The More the Merrier

Limiting your self to US or Europe clamps limits how many clamps you can afford
    C- Clamps
    Bar Clamps
    F- Clamps
    are my most used ones
    then comes
    Cam Clamps
    Wood Screws
    Spring Clamps
    Carpe Lignum