Thread: Another Old Street Scene Video - Paris 1896-1900

Blog Entries

Another Old Street Scene Video - Paris 1896-1900

There are different areas of interest that can be selected from the description below the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjDclfAFRB4&app=desktop

0:08 - Notre-Dame Cathedral (1896)
    0:58 - Alma Bridge (1900)
    1:37 - Avenue des Champs-Élysées (1899)
    2:33 - Place de la Concorde (1897)
    3:24 - Passing of a fire brigade (1897)
    3:58 - Tuileries Garden (1896)
    4:48 - Moving walkway at the Paris Exposition (1900)
    5:24 - The Eiffel Tower from the Rives de la Seine à Paris (1897)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great video. It's just amazing to me that they can correct the video the way they do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That was neat. I don't know what "speed corrected" means in a context of video restoration. But I noticed the pace of the carriages - it made me think "Man, life really moved at a slower pace then."
    Frec
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That was neat. I don't know what "speed corrected" means in a context of video restoration. But I noticed the pace of the carriages - it made me think "Man, life really moved at a slower pace then."
    Frec
    In most older movies, it looked like people were moving very fast. That was because of the difference in the frame rate that it was shot at and the frame rate that it was shown at. They had to use a fairly fast frame rate to show the movie to avoid annoying flicker.

Speed correction makes the movie look "natural" as far as the motion of the people, animals, etc. are concerned. In this video (movie) the motion of the people appear natural to me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks JIm. That was very interesting.

I kept thinking that that was before two world wars and all of those people are long dead. Time moves on and waits for no one. Including us.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    In most older movies, it looked like people were moving very fast. That was because of the difference in the frame rate that it was shot at and the frame rate that it was shown at. They had to use a fairly fast frame rate to show the movie to avoid annoying flicker.

Speed correction makes the movie look "natural" as far as the motion of the people, animals, etc. are concerned. In this video (movie) the motion of the people appear natural to me.

Mike
    Thanks Mike! I thought their motion was very natural too.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”