Thread: Oella saw and tool combination corrugated knives

Oella saw and tool combination corrugated knives

Has anyone used these ? I was browsing through their site and found this idea, Corrugated knives made with holes to fit Williams and hussey style molders so they can serve double duty in a corrugated head on a shaper or a W and H moulder. I have the shaper and corrugated heads as well a a G.I. molder . I have been following the other thread on corrugated heads/knives and was wondering if the grinding angle would be the same for both machines ? Thoughts .

Thanks for pointing that out Mike. I have considered buying the head to run W&H profiles on the shaper. This would make more sense. Some of the profiles the straights are easier to run on the shaper or moulder and curves on the W&H.
    No idea about hook angle compatibility.

Charles G. G. Schmidt also sell corrugated back knives for the W&H/shaper if you are shopping around.

Peter have you bought any ? I think I will buy my next custom profile this way,seems like there would be no disadvantages to it. I am doing some casing for a 90 year old house right now for a friend that I work with occasionally,we just had a set of custom knives made to match the original profile. If i had seen these I would have tried them out.

I run the combi knives interchangeably all the time. I have not compared the profiles from one to the other side x side, and would expect some compression of profile if hook angles were different, but they cut well in either instance.

Blog Entries
    The hussey is a 23 degree hook. You need to specify the primary use and live with a bit of mismatch on the profile.

Wkw and Titan (among others) make corrugated w&h steel. Any shop can grind it.
    20190329_145054.jpg

Ground for 20, run at 23
    20190410_150439.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 04-26-2019 at 1:02 PM.

I don't have a shaper so haven't bought any. I bought a book from them decades ago about grinding but have always kept them in mind. I may be wrong but I believe corrugated washers will be needed to put under the heads of the bolts unless they counterbore them. Worth asking either source if you are buying a set.

Jared/Peter (2) thanks for the information.

+ 2 on the thanks. Wish I had known about these 3 months ago!

What grade of steel is the longest lasting ?I guess what I am saying is what grades do you guys specify when ordering knives ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    What grade of steel is the longest lasting ?I guess what I am saying is what grades do you guys specify when ordering knives ?
    M2 is standard. Avoid "like m2" or "equal to m2"

There are others d2, m3, for applications.. but m2 is the vast majority.

Agree with Jared. Some vendors really push the "same hardness" as M2 thing. If you see striations on wood left by knives,
    It probably is not M2. M2 ,I'm told , was a war time substitute for T-1. A few years back they started making T1 again.
    But real M2 is fine.