Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needlework Table

Needlework Table

Deleted. Will post it again later.
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.

What? It disappeared? I was looking forward to a new project!

Hi Mark ... it will be back. I just wanted to make some changes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

New build. I would like to share the design to date. At this stage it is open to modifications. I am happy to hear your thoughts ... after all, that is the point of these builds - to create discussion.

So, a needlework table .. now you know my secret passion J

The brief is that the needlework table is to replace the table in the family room, where it will do duel duty for my wife and be used as a side table for coffee cups, etc. I built the existing table 30 years ago as an extension for our dining room table, and it was used until recently in the entrance hall. Now I plan to recycle the legs into a country style dining room table for my son ...

This table is too high to be used as a side table. The new table will reach the underside of its rails, about the same height as the armchair arm rests. It will be as wide as the existing table ...

The planned needlework table. The top is 850mm wide. There is a 10mm overhang front and rear, and 100mm at each side.

The elevation view looks a little plain at this stage, but it is a canvas, and the intention is to inlay some bright colours later on. The legs actually splay more than they appear here as they do so 45 degrees/diagonally rather than coplanar to the front and rear.

The front of the table is bowed and has 3 drawers. Since this is a needlework table, where the contents need to be accessible. Two of the drawers will pivot from the outer sides. This will enable all drawers to be open at the same time.

The carcase is to be Hard Maple, as will be the side drawers. The centre drawer will be the same wood as the table top, but I am not decided on this yet. Possibly figured Jarrah as it will be a good contrast to bright inlay.

The underside of the drawers is coved to reduce the apparent height.

The plan of the table - It looks like it needs "slimming down" in this picture, but it may be the angle at which the shot was taken ...

Of note, the legs are round and tapered with the splay. Mortice-and-tenon joinery.

Some specs of the construction ...

Thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I do the sewing in my house also! Have two machines!
    Clearly no one is sitting at the table because of the height but if sitting next to it where will they be?
    The pivoting drawers are nice except for loosing 1/3 of the space under the table top. Perhaps two layers of drawers, shallow pivoting that open right out and a normal drawer underneath that opens forward?
    If you loose the middle drawer at the top layer the pivoting drawers get bigger then put the normal drawer underneath.

The splayed legs match the top overhang at the sides for visual balance.

The Shaker end tables I’m building my daughter we’re originally called sewing tables but there is no chance she will sew!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks William. Stacked pivoting drawers (and no middle drawer) was my first model ...

I moved on from this as it looked boring.

You ask where one will be sitting. The answer is "in the armchairs". The table needs to be used as an occasional (side) table as well.

Edit: mmmm .... I ran this past my wife. She prefers this version!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-27-2019 at 12:04 PM.

It seems like as low as you are going no adult will ever be able to sit in a comfortable chair and get their legs underneath this table, correct? It is a beautiful object either way.

Will the feet stick out from under the edge of the table top? In your 2.jpg i can't tell (it is because I am an idiot) if the circles show the top of the legs in the aprons or where the bottom of the feet touch the floor. From the elevation it is clear the feet will be under the ends. I guess what I am asking is where do the feet end up on the side elevation relative to the front and rear edges of the table top. Looks fabulous from the front.

Looking good in the design stage Derek. The pivoting drawers are wonderful when design features dictate. They are however problematic in use. That curve can be troublesome. I like the idea of drawers on the sides. I would consider putting square drawers on one side and pivoting on the other if you must have pivots. I like the look of the curve in the legs and the top. You could also consider using the curved drawers opening to the back and having a shallow depth drawer or tip out in the front that would hold scissors an such, similar to the old Singer sewing machine cabinets.
    Jim

Are the legs maybe going to be made from cylinders with the feet off center from the tops kinda like this? I still get sucked in by table leg trickery. I got to go make some more mortises so I can make a table someday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Derek, I'm guessing he wants the table ,too ! Please spare it !

To answer the ‘boring’ thing if you have a central decorative front piece that unifies the drawer middles whether they swing or regular pull it alleviates ‘boring’. The edge can double as pull handles.
    Sewing is a lot of small stuff so more small drawers works a lot better. The height of a reel of cotton will be one set of drawers and that is not much.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I ran this past my wife. She prefers this version!

Derek
    What more feedback do you need?

Sounds like a good project Derek. The swing out drawers are something I tried this past year.
    I found on my table the drawers were too sensitive to any unevenness on my floor.
    Yours design might do well since it’s width is less.
    I hope you go for it. Very challenging very rewarding.
    My project is slated for a woodworking competition so I cannot post it yet.
    But I can show the orphan drawers. If your interested in seeing them.
    Good luck
    Aj

What my wife wants is frankly near-impossible. She wants a table she can use for storing needlework items. But it must also look like a casual side table.

There is nothing exciting about a needlework table if you look at examples on the web. Generally a dumpy box. I find myself coming up with ideas to spice it up, such as the drawers, but I it feels like a collection of parts, and not an integrated whole. What is really needed is a box for her needlework, and a table for the family room.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-28-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Hah Derek, what's is that quote about, If difficult, can do it right away, if Impossible, it may take a bit longer. I was all interested and now you are going to invoke the "impossible" clause and blame it on your wife.
    Jim