Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paying for a Battery Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Took second battery in today for testing. Showed 510 CCA's, which isn't bad for a a 600CCA battery that two weeks ago refused to take a charge.
    Are you sure that was 510 CCA, and not just 510 CA? CCA = COLD Cranking Amps, which is measured at 0ºF for 30 seconds. I’d be surprised if anyplace had your battery down to that temp to test it this time of year. Sounds like you brought it back some, but it may disappoint come wintertime.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

When they tested the old battery it showed 120 ca and the new one that is rated at 650 cca showed 850ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When they tested the old battery it showed 120 ca and the new one that is rated at 650 cca showed 850ca
    This would be expected. The 850 CA are because the battery is warmer, accelerating the internal chemical reaction that generates the current, as compared to the 0ºF rating.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I got one of those $50 Walmart batteries for my standby generator
    I use the $21.99 ( 230 CCA) lawn mower batteries on my generator. Same size battery, Interstate brand, at Costco is $32.99. Last Walmart mower battery I bought only lasted 5 years. Sorry piece of trash, it should have lasted ten years. At time of purchase, I only paid $19.99, so I got what I paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I use the $21.99 ( 230 CCA) lawn mower batteries on my generator. Same size battery, Interstate brand, at Costco is $32.99. Last Walmart mower battery I bought only lasted 5 years. Sorry piece of trash, it should have lasted ten years. At time of purchase, I only paid $19.99, so I got what I paid for.
    I am simply using the group 24 battery size specified by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I am simply using the group 24 battery size specified by the manufacturer.
    Completely off the Off Topic topic, but almost every time I see this thread title in the list my somewhat dyslexic brain changes it to "Praying for Battery Warranty."

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Completely off the Off Topic topic, but almost every time I see this thread title in the list my somewhat dyslexic brain changes it to "Praying for Battery Warranty."

JKJ
    It's the "off topic" forum, so it seems natural. Think about it, every time you put the key in, you pray for the battery to crank car.

I buy the 5-year wally batteries, and usually get 7-8 years out of them.
    I've had one that went bad 2 months before the 5 years was up.

The battery that earlier this week checked out as good, checked out today. Replaced it with the Walmart $49.98, one year warranty battery, which I purchased using credit card that doubles warranty up to one year. Thought about next up battery (3 years free replacement and then 2 more years prorated,) but when placing core in bin, saw one of this series that was made in Oct 2018 in defective bin. Most of the time, we get between 7 and 9 years out of a battery. I do check fluid level regularly, even if it's a "sealed battery." Walmart sells three batteries, one year, two year, and three year free replacement with 2 year prorated beyond that. Price reflects the length of warranty, which was my original thought.