Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identifying a thickness planer

Well, I found that single part number in picture four in the parts list for my Belsaw model 912 so it appears that this is indeed a Belsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    A friend had a Belsaw 12" planer/moulder many years ago and it did not have a pressure bar or chip beaker. As a result it was a marginal planer.
    Joe, can you describe the pressure bar and chip breaker? I was looking at a massive Powermatic last week (24" I think) that had a bar with loose 1/4" wide weights which ride lightly on the workpiece. Is that one of the components you're talking about? Also, the same day, I looked at a Woodmaster (stepchild of the foley/belsaw) and saw a plate which seemed to catch the chips and direct them into a vacuum plenum. I might be able to fabricate something for these if y'all think they would enhance the performance.

Update on the belsaw restoration...I'm getting it apart and finding broken bits where it was mishandled. Cast iron is wonderful for its strength but it IS brittle. A few places on the flange/frame where it mounts to the base are broken. Gonna need some welding. Also, I talked to the guy who has carried on the belsaw company out in CA. He was a wealth of parts info but it was like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant. (most of it blows you away). He says that the bearings for the cutter head rotate out (not a press-fit) and I have not figured out how to get hold of them to do that. Any ideas?
    One of them is broken but he says he has some left. At what point does one say "enough". I bought it at scrap prices but it might get more expensive than just buying a new Dewalt 12". Here's a picture of the bearing thing...IMG_0759.JPG

Any ideas on fabricating a chip-breaker? It appears to be 10 or 8-gauge sheet which is bent on a brake and welded but I have no drawing to go by. Anyone have a belsaw who would be willing to give specs?

I will have to think of the correct name but those may be eccentric lock or cam lock bearings. Some name like that. Easy to remove one step down from taper lock.

Bill D.

On edit;

https://www.edtcorp.com/docs/eccentr...tall-chart.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-09-2019 at 3:04 PM.

Thanks Bill, that pdf is gold. Squares with what someone at OWWM.org told me. I'd never heard of such a thing.

Doesn't look like a chip-breaker was OEM on this particular machine. it has a scoop built into the hood. Don't know how effective it is at deflecting the debris but it doesn't seem like it would be any use at all used in conjunction with a vacuum dust removal system. Everything's goin' on the floor with this baby.
    Last edited by Timothy Robinson; 05-16-2019 at 6:46 AM.

If it's a planer you want this may be the hard and expensive way to go.

IMG_0840[1].jpgIMG_0841[1].jpgI managed to dent up the housing removing the eccentric cam bearings so I'm looking into sources. Anyone have a good (read 'cheap') bearing source? the specs are "FAFNIR RA108" bearing and collar. I'm told that Timken bought Fafnir but I don't find this number in their online listings.
    Last edited by Timothy Robinson; 06-05-2019 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Thought a picture would help

I'm not too pleased with the castings on this beast...There are voids and it appears that the ribs on the underside of the platten were molded by sticking some half-round sticks to the bottom of the platten pattern and ignoring what happens when you get to a corner.
    But it is de-rusted, painted up, welded, supplied with new bearings and is undergoing reassembly. PIctures to come.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to pictures. I’m working on a restoration and need inspiration