Thread: I just received a new tool store catalog

Blog Entries

I just received a new tool store catalog

From Woodcraft in Houston.
    I have not been there in a while, I think I will go one day soon just to browse the store.

I bet I am the only old dog that does things like that.
    Who knows, I may see something I just have to own.

Blog Entries
    No, you are not the only old dog tha does things like that.

Though sometimes it is better not to lead oneself into temptation and instead deliver oneself from unneeded expensive tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I enjoy going down to Woodcraft to check out the different tools and what not. Though, every time I go I feel like I "need" to buy a new tool. Sometimes I do, and sometimes the wife gets upset...

Blog Entries
    If I buy one, I don't tell her. I don't hide it, I just don't mention it.

I only look at catalogues now. Can't travel the 30 or so miles to the woodcraft store. Most of the"new" tools I see are just adaptions of old tools. Things like wheeled marking gauges. I own several of them. Are they better, well maybe. Hard to beat a properly sharpened pin gauge by any huge margin. It is fun to see how many twists can be put into a liquorice stick however. Anymore most tools I buy are replacements for ones I have worn out. I still often long to go shopping in a store and buying something I don't need just so I can take it home to play with. Sort of like buying a new puppy that you don't have to feed or clean up after.
    Jim

Occasionally I'll stop into Woodworkers Supply if I'm on that side of town. I usually walk out with something.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

i usually check out their website then drop by the store. I like browse other stuff before making my purchase.Did that on Monday when I bought my Osborne EB3. I took some time to go hands on with the Incra miter gauges and the EB3 before purchasing the EB3 and A Wixey angle gauge.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If I buy one, I don't tell her. I don't hide it, I just don't mention it.
    LOL. I try not to go to the toy store.....
    I hide my new tool purchases from the wife. Sometimes I hide them so well I can't find the new expensive tool that looked real pretty. That I obviously need badly. That I don't use.

I have a Woodcraft and Rockler both about a 30 minute drive (in opposite directions, ofcourse).

I find Woodcraft to be more handtool friendly and a decent selection of 4/4 and 8/4 lumber, but not much in the way of smaller project stock like 1/8” - 1/2”. They have a better selection of veneer and banding. They have very little selection of hardware (hinges).

Rockler has a better selection of small size stock, but only has 3/4” lumber and an occassional 8/4 piece. Not much in quality handtool selection. Decent selection of hardware.

Both have good seletions of finish, clamps, glues, abrasives, router bits, drill bits, etc.

I’m into small jewelry box production mode for the nieces and really need to visit Rockler for the 1/2” and 1/8” stock and hinges, then visit Woodcraft for the veneers and bandings.

Both have nice, knowledgable folks I’ve come to know.

And yes, both are fun to just browse....

I have nothing within 1-1/2 hours. Woodcraft in Delaware is my only bet. but its tax free so that helps a bit

Started going to Woodcraft back in the early 90s when I worked in Livonia. Went there on my lunch hour and drooled on the Sorby chisels and Lie-Nielson planes. Bought my blue handled Marples of Sheffield chisels there and my first Hock blade for a #3. Then took a hand plane tune up class and a dove tail joint class there. What a place! Now I go to my local Woodcraft and it's full of Chinese chisels and hand planes. Great lumber, nice sales team and I like the kits they sell. Wish they still sold LN instead of the woodriver but they got their reasons.