Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tough pulley removal - need suggestions

Agree, I see no appreciable wear to the pulley so I'd not open that can of worms by removing it unless you're working on a degree in industrial education.

Now that it's off you can determine if the shaft is tapered by 1) the difference in shaft diameters and also 2) if tapered I doubt the key will be parallel to the shaft.

I would stand the pulley and motor in a cake pan so the pulley can be submerged in ATF and Acetone (50/50) for a few days. The soaking should penetrate all nooks and crannies of the pulley, shaft end and key/keyway. Then try to remove it. You just need to be patient.

By ATF you mean Automatic Transmission Fluid?

I would like to remove it and clean out the motor and check bearings and such.

I still don’t know what that red stuff it but it’s everywhere.

Yes atuomatic transmision fliud.

Soak in 50/50 ATF and acetone. Turn motor so pulley is flat, soak one side of the pulley shaft touching the pulley and then turn motor and soak the other side so the fluid is running down into the crevice of the pulley. You want gravity on your side. Soak maybe a day or 2 on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    use a bearing splitter or you will bend the pulley. the diagram does not show a setscrew so I think it is a taper shaft press fit.
    I would enlarge the opening to pull the motor with the pulley attached then look at it up on the bench. You can make a sheet metal shield later if needed to keep sawdust out.
    Bill D.
    Bill, I don't know if you're guess is correct or not, but I'm glad you posted this. I've never removed bearings before.
    Did a little googling, and now I know what a bearing separator is.

It's also good to be aware that some pulleys might indeed be press-fit. I never knew that, either.

- Thanks!
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-24-2019 at 5:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

I still don’t know what that red stuff it but it’s everywhere.
    Sometimes the winding laquer spray is red. Sometimes they spray it on the windings before closing it up, just as another layer of protection. (Usually do this if I pull apart an old motor). Really shouldnt be on the shaft though (dont know if it could have been 'dipped'... doesnt seem likely but what do I know)

Loctite for the shaft would be more localized.

If it was Loctite, wouldn't any sane person use the blue stuff?

"But I had the red and didn't want to go to town to buy something else."

You guys don’t understand, the red stuff is EVERYWHERE in the machine. I shop vac’ed about a gallon of the stuff out. This pictures is just part of what was picked into the back of the lower wheel (there’s a cavity from the belt sheave that’s on the back of the wheel) after I pulled it.

edit: you can see half of the tire that fell off too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ Aliens have landed in West Lafayette!

That looks like something Mr. Spock would find on a distant planet.

Maybe some fool tried to use this saw to cut metal, and that's cutting fluid + metal dust that got all over the place?

Doubtful. My guess is it was whatever the company was cutting with it. Maybe sound insulation for inside the pianos or something. I briefly looked up how pianos are made and there’s some felt in there and some other felt-ish looking stuff.

I’m going to start soaking the pulley tonight.

Matt ,when I took my motor in to get the bearings replaced I also could not figure out how to get the pulley off. They ended up pulling the motor apart and taking the shaft right out and then pressing it apart. It is the exact same pulley as on my saw.

Mike, so they got the pulley off the shaft with a bearing press or something?

I think it was their large shop press. But yes they did get it off and replaced it as well. My pulley was flush with the end of the shaft when I took the motor in,now it is about 1/32'' out from flush. I was fine with that,motor has room to move on the mounting plate.