Thread: 4mm acrylic sheets? or 1/8 LED sign base

4mm acrylic sheets? or 1/8 LED sign base

The sign bases I have purchased (Amazon) are for 4mm acrylic, the 1/8" is to loose and my 3/16 signs do not fit in the slot.
    I have searched and found no US distributor of 4mm cast acrylic. and I can not find the bases for 1/8 sheets.

Any ideas?

Nick

Tap Plastics has it in 1/8” or 4.5mm. Odd that Amazon is selling bases that are not for standard thicknesses.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Those round "hockey puck" bases that come with a remote for ~5.00 are from China, they work great.
    But the standard thicknesses in the rest of the word (outside the US) is metric.
    Those bases are made for a 4mm sheet, a 1/8" flops around, the 3/16 will not fit.

Wrap a piece of electrical tap around the base of your acrylic. It will snug it up in the base and give you better light diffusion.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

You know it will work, I know it will work. But giving someone a gift with some "duct tape" wrapped around it to make it fit,, just doesn't look good

Found some 4mm on ebay,, but literally twice the price of 1/8"
    It is actually kinda funny, the Chinese are flooding the US market with nice, cheap LED acrylic sign bases,, made for metric sized acrylic that is not available in the US,, opps

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    Wrap a piece of electrical tap around the base of your acrylic. It will snug it up in the base and give you better light diffusion.

the 4mm on ebay will be sloppy also as its not true 4mm
    pretty easy to make your own LED wood base if it for a gift you'll be much happier with a custom made base.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 04-25-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

^ ^ ^

What are these sign bases, wood, acrylic, anything you can buy yourself without a slot?

A table saw with an 1/8" blade set to 10° and 1/4" deep will cut a perfect slot for an 1/8" thick sign...

--if you don't have a table saw, odds are you know someone who does
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ^ ^ ^

What are these sign bases, wood, acrylic, anything you can buy yourself without a slot?

A table saw with an 1/8" blade set to 10° and 1/4" deep will cut a perfect slot for an 1/8" thick sign...

--if you don't have a table saw, odds are you know someone who does
    Kev there cheap plastic
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have a wood/metal shop, but it's not worth my time.
    The round black plastic "pucks" do the job. She can whip out a sign/picture and stuff it in a $5 puck and it is a fully functioning lighted example.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=led+acryl...nb_sb_ss_i_3_9

I have found the 4 packs with remotes on sale for $24

Ordered some of the 4mm material, we shall see.
    Last edited by Nick Andraka; 04-25-2019 at 5:06 PM.

Maybe you could cut a slotted rectangle out of acrylic as a filler. The rectangle would be 1/4" wide (slot width) and as long as the base's slot, and a 1/8" slot in the middle of the rectangle to snugly hold your acrylic panel. Cutting one rectangle from a thicker piece or stack multiple rectangles cut from 1/8" to get the depth you want (can join with a bit of weldon or cya) to keep your acrylic panel from wobbling front and back. A few minutes of waiting on the laser...

The bases I've seen over the years had a thick piece of felt like material around them, like weather stripping. It would allow you to use a variety of material thicknesses.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Any update on the 4mm acrylic sheet?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Waiting for it to arrive,, I have my digital calipers ready

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Andraka View Post
    Waiting for it to arrive,, I have my digital calipers ready
    ust have got them by now what did you find?
    M
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander