Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF Benchtop Sand Blast Cabinet?

i use a 3850 dewalt pressure washer with a sandblast attachment from northern tool. i have constant pressure and since it mixes with water i get no dust. i had to customize a tip out of boron carbide because the stock tips were wearing out in 4 hours of blasting.

Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    i use a 3850 dewalt pressure washer with a sandblast attachment from northern tool. i have constant pressure and since it mixes with water i get no dust. i had to customize a tip out of boron carbide because the stock tips were wearing out in 4 hours of blasting.
    Don't think that would work well in the HF Benchtop Blast Cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Don't think that would work well in the HF Benchtop Blast Cabinet.
    i blast outside on a concrete slab. you dont need a cabinet and i have figured out how to reuse the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    I don't buy the expensive media, I use mason's sand. Very very fine sand.
    About 6-8 bucks at your local lumber yard for a 50# bag.
    Everything I read suggests regular sand is a very bad sandblasting choice health wise. I pay a little more for the media that is recommended as 'more' user safe (all sand blasting has health risks associated, so read up and use your own judgment).

For more aggressive blasting I like the 'black beauty' media.

Sand dust, walnut hull dust. And the dust of whatever you are blasting off. Rust...paint...dried grease....Probably not much difference. A mask is always recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I agree I have a harbor freight cabinet type blaster and my Ingersoll Rand 5 hp 60 gal can not keep up must take a break to let pressure build might really need a 10 hp compressor to have more compressor than consumed air.
    my 5hp compressor can keep up. I recommend a larger drive pulley and reduce the max pressure. Anything over 125 is a waste for blasting.

Well, as the OP, I thought I'd wrap this thread up. I purchased and tried the cabinet out with my "5hp" compressor, rated at 8.5cfm @40psi, 6.7cfm @ 90psi. For the things I blasted, I used glass beads from HF. It worked great...very fast lite paint and medium rust removal from parts about the size of my hand. My compressor was set to 80psi and the gun allowed good pressure control and media flow. For very occasional use, I found this little cabinet to be worth the $. I know everyone recommends high CFM compressors, but for my purposes, my smaller compressor had no problems keeping up, without overworking at all.
    The issue I did have was with media return. The funnel is too shallow to facilitate media to return to the apex of the funnel, so I had to occasionally stop and either move the pickup tube or media for better uptake. Also, I found that lots of media came to rest on interior ledges and nooks and crannies. The gun worked well, however I have read several reports about the trigger mechanism getting fouled with media, after repeated use.
    Now...all that said...I decided to return the Benchtop cabinet and get the slightly larger, free standing cabinet. I'll be using this a little more than just occasionally, so I wanted a more trouble free operation. The deeper funnel will help with media return, but I'll have to deal with the gun issue in the future. I'll report back on the larger cabinet. Thanks for all of your replies and I hope this helps anyone considering this Benctop model cabinet.

I just wanted to add some info on the TSC blast cabinet.

I purchased it about two years ago and it works well with my 5HP 30 gal Craftsman air compressor.
    They have changed the bottom of the cabinet. The photo on the box still showed the old "V" bottom design but the unit inside is now different as you can see in the photo.

Blast Cabinet (4).jpgBlast Cabinet (7).jpgSAM_0107.jpgBlast Cabinet (3).jpgBlast Cabinet (8).jpgBlast Cabinet (5).jpgBlast Cabinet (6).jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yup I used the TSC cabinet for a short time and I found it well made and worked fine. I just did not need it, and It was taking up space in my shop. I purchased the HF 20 lb pressurized one and after some mods its fine. I use it outside on my driveway.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

OK...as the OP on this one, I'd like to give you an update. This bench top was fine for very occasional use at a good price. That said, after one use, I decided I would be using it for a lot more, so rather than sticking with this model, I opted to return it for the larger unit. Not only that, but I went all out and added a bunch of mods to that larger model. I've posted a thread on that cabinet and the mods.