Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Editing classified posts REVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    For many years the ability to edit threads and posts here never expired. Then we had a small group that decided they wanted to try to destroy every thread they had participated by editing their posts and removing pictures.....
    Just revisiting this. When I post photos they are links to a my photo host. I periodically maintain my photographs and it's probable that shots used in an old post might get moved or edited at the host level, thereby breaking the link and perhaps to some destroying the thread. What kind of limitations are placed on uploading photos directly to the SMC website so they'll live in perpetuity (or at least as long as the Mods want them around)? There may be a help note on this but I've been unable to find it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Just revisiting this. When I post photos they are links to a my photo host. I periodically maintain my photographs and it's probable that shots used in an old post might get moved or edited at the host level, thereby breaking the link and perhaps to some destroying the thread. What kind of limitations are placed on uploading photos directly to the SMC website so they'll live in perpetuity (or at least as long as the Mods want them around)? There may be a help note on this but I've been unable to find it.
    Keith can give the definitive answer, but from what I've been told all photos and threads are saved permanently on the servers, never deleted except for "expired" classifieds posts. At the time of the Photo Bucket fiasco there was encouragement here to upload photos instead of hosting them elsewhere for the exact reason you mention - so the threads don't become useless.

There is one thing about linking to photos that some people may prefer for the impact: they are displayed full-size in the message instead of as thumbnails, so the user sees this:

instead of having to click on this:

BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg

Linking also lets you put a photo in a PM since it can't be uploaded there. There is a round-about way to make photos full size without linking to an off-site host. The disadvantage with the full-sized photos is that people who live in areas with slow internet connections or those who pay for service by the byte can suffer.

JKJ

You can now edit any post or thread you created in the classifieds forum at any time.
    This new rule only applies to the Classified Forum.

Thanks Keith and John.

Good morning Keith

That editing functionality doesn't seem to be working. I logged out and then back in but still no editing privileges. Ideas?

- Rob

Rob,

Sorry about the problem I will ask Aaron to see if he can find a solution.

Thanks Keith.

Rob,
    I spoke with Aaron and he has decided that he cannot change the editing privileges for just one forum. He tried and thought he had a configuration that worked but the only option is to allow editing by all Contributors in every forum which we don't want to do at this time. Possibly when we are able to convert to Xenforo we will be able to provide editing capability. Sorry!

It's all good. Thanks for checking.

I see this thread is old, but I am having this same problem now.
    I have a listing in the Classifieds section that I would like to edit (changing it to "free shipping") but I do not see any way to do that.
    Please advise.

James

Send me a link to your post and I will edit it for you.

Jackie Outten

James, you can PM your request to any moderator and we will take care of it for you.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney