Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving 4x8 plywood easily?

That makes a difference. My opinion is based on the fact that once you get the sheet goods to where you want them, you still have to get them up onto the machine .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    That makes a difference. My opinion is based on the fact that once you get the sheet goods to where you want them, you still have to get them up onto the machine .
    It can't get much slicker than with the crazy horse, but with my Speed Skate type dolly, I just wheel the sheet up to the table saw, lean it against, and then swing it up from the bottom edge. At no time am I lifting the entire weight of the sheet. It's just about the next best thing, for me anyway.

I went for the Bora Portamate. It works well, does take up a little room to store.

https://www.amazon.com/Portamate-PM-.../dp/B01AWI8ILW
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Mine is similar to what Charles Lent did above:
    plywdroller.jpgplywdroller2.jpg

Whitewalls are optional.
    Old guys think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by William Young View Post
    Mine is similar to what Charles Lent did above:
    plywdroller.jpgplywdroller2.jpg

Whitewalls are optional.
    Old guys think alike!
    The whitewalls certainly add class and your pics gives this old guy an idea. With 2 Kreg screws mount a removable wood clamp bout centered on top of my 4 caster truck. With it I can spin the sheet 360° if needed.

I ask to my son...

...at his 19 years old it is an honor to him to help his "old" father.

Seriously, did you consider a specially designed cart?
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

************************************************** ****************************
    I never really liked working with a full sheet of ply up on anything so I built a Popular Mechanics type saw guide and work closer to the floor.

You could make something like this

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...0-caddy01.html

...you still have to get them up onto the machine .
    Indeed ! This is the most difficult part. I just don't deal with sheet goods enough for a fancy gadget so, I never look forward to having to get a full sheet up on the table saw, constricted by the planer on one side, turn on the saw, and then get into position to push. ..Especially if I'm only cutting a couple of feet off the end of the board.

I have tried the Crazy Horse Dolly and really love it. Works great if you going over pretty smooth surfaces and fairly level ground. You just have to balance the sheet, really, and you could probably walk it right onto the sawhorses without much lifting at all. Here's a little video demonstration on my YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPkcbb2hAI
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

I've used the big tilting carts, dollies, gorilla grippers and brute force. Since I got a crazy horse I don't look back. It works as an a-frame type dolly for moving panels on edge as well as balancing a sheet on the flat. It is definitely the easiest way I have found to get heavy panels from my vertical rack onto the saw, router or horses. At 24" diameter it is not a space hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I solved both this problem and the problem of transporting sheet good by picking up a Makita cordless track saw.
    Instead of buying & transporting & storing full 4x8 sheets of plywood, I simply buy as I need & cut to finished size right in the parking lot.
    This would be an expensive solution here after the Ordnungsamt or Polizei arrived and started confiscating equipment and goods. We can't even change windshield wiper blades in the store parking lot.

Thank you for this thread, I've struggled with 4 x8 sheets, more so as I get older.

I nearly bought the CrazyHorse kit, a few months ago, but with limited space, I held back as it would be hard to use in my restricted space shop, plus then I'd have to store it.

After looking at many pf the suggestions, most of which I had never seen before today, I bought the FastCap Speed Skate product and also came across this video and plan to make one of these to help transition a sheet up on to my cutting bench.

Then there is the Leg Up. The shop that I work in made something like this, and it works well, but it's a huge shop with lots of room to move panels around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdo90fJ4KLk

Charley