Thread: Floating Live Edge Slab - Large shelf

Floating Live Edge Slab - Large shelf

I have a 11' live edge slab that I want to float. The dimensions of the slab are 11'x18"x1.5". The issue is the wall has metal studs behind the wall. I was thinking of putting a metal bracket on the wall with metal rods sticking out and drill holes in the slab and sliding the slab on the bars, or creating 4-5 metal "L" brackets and hide the part of the bracket that attaches on the wall inside the sheetrock.

Curious is anyone else has a better method.

Metal studs are made from rather thin sheet metal, and they are C-shaped in cross section. If you put a screw in the front edge of a stud, and pull hard, the stud will distort. Your floated shelf would sag if you installed it that way. When builders put kitchens in buildings with metal studs, they put blocking inside the wall before the drywall goes on. The blocking fastens to the wide faces of the studs. That would be a better approach for you.

There have been threads on SMC about hanging stuff on metal-stud walls. There has been at least one with sketches of how the blocking is installed. You might use SMC's Search function to look for it.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 04-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Appreciate the response. i will dig around to find some info.

That is a fairly heavy object to hang from the wall. As noted above by Jamie, metal studs are not great for hanging and wall items from unless blocked properly.

The other issue is that they are attached to the top and bottom track by one screw into each side for a total of (4) 5/8" long screws. Not much support. We have details for top and bottom clips, wood blocking infill and welding or screwing studs together when we have to hang grab bars or anything significant from metal studs.

Are you planning to remove the g.w.b. from the wall to access all of the studs?