Thread: Woodshop starting to take shape... Finally!

Woodshop starting to take shape... Finally!

Well... took me a few years, but now the shop is being built!
    1-2 weeks left for the carpenters, before I can start all the internal work myself.

Its a two car garage, where I have partitioned of two rooms for myself.. the garage is used as a storage area for lawnmower, bikes, car tires, Christmas decorations etc etc...
    I have electricity and water from the house.
    3 large windows on the North and South side, 9ft x 1.5ft
    1 large window on the East side, 11ft x 4ft
    The walls and ceilings will be insulated with wood fiber insulation. 8" in the wall and 12" in the ceiling.
    10" in the floor, 4" of concrete, heated flooring in the two rooms I intend to use.
    Kährs engineered wood flooring, and white glazed standing knot free pine cladded walls

The Garage door is situated on the North side.
    Entering the shop at the east side, there will be an sink on your right hand side with a bench going all the way across, for sharpening, storage of bits and pieces etc etc.
    Between the two internal doors, its 8ft across, so Im thinking vertical lumber storage.

Then I am bit unsure what to do with the rest..

The large window facing East, into the garden, where we are building a Natural Pool/pond and a Japanese inspired garden..
    I intend to do most of my work in front of it, looking out at the seasons and all the animal and insect life we are trying to attract to the garden.

The Shop is intended as a "Hybrid", predominately hand tools with a few power tools from the Bosch Professional line: Miter Saw, Plunge Cut Saw, Jigsaw, Dust extractor, 12volt Drill and a Tormek T8 sharpener. I bought all the Bosch tools, to do all the finish work inside our new house.. so instead of selling, it I might as well keep it out there.

The rest will be a load of planes, saws, chisels etc from LN and LV.
    And few bits and bobs I have purchased on Ebay, North Bros Braces, Miller Falls Drills and braces.

The rooms are:
    Main room: 19x12
    Side room: 13x9
    Garage: 13x9
    Height inside: 9ft
    Skjermbilde 2019-04-22 kl. 14.40.48.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2019-04-22 kl. 14.59.58.jpg

But, I am not sure what to do with the small room.. I am starting to think if I should just leave it open, and have an L-shaped room.

Skjermbilde 2019-04-22 kl. 15.53.31.jpg

I intend to build, in order:
    Saw Horses
    Work Bench
    Shaving horse
    Pole Lathe
    and all the shelfs, benches, storage etc.
    Last edited by Dan Kraakenes; 04-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Congrats. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Please post lots of pictures as you progress.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Some photos of the outside.. not completely cleaned up outside though..

Something is wrong.. trying to post photos, but I am not allowed to see my own photos?

I am getting this message:
    you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Dan,

Here are some recent notes about the photos: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....76#post2924176

Shop looks wonderful! I don't know of anything more exciting and full of promise than a new building, especially a shop!

Did you decide on the internal layout, rooms, etc? I divided my shop into several rooms and put up a couple of walls to create a woodturning alcove and to give me extra wall space. One of the most valuable little rooms is a sound-insulated closet to house the cyclone dust collector and air compressor - makes time in the shop SO much more pleasant! I ended up with this:

shop_floorplan.jpg

And how I use the wall space by the lathes:

WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

JKJ

EDIT: oops, after I clicked to post I remembered you can't see the picture included of my shop layout, at least at the moment. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kraakenes View Post
    Some photos of the outside.. not completely cleaned up outside though..

Something is wrong.. trying to post photos, but I am not allowed to see my own photos?

I am getting this message:
    you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-06-2019 at 8:33 AM.