Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absent OP

Absent OP

what am I doing wrong that causes a OP to never make it to the front page?

Original poster? Or the original post?

If you're like me and have set up your feed to show newer posts first (I expect it's the default) then the software will assume that you've already read something you post yourself and move it below threads with unread new posts in them.

Blog Entries
    I am set up as Roger explains too. If you want to check on your own posts before there is any activity on them, click 'My Profile' then click 'Find latest posts'.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post
    what am I doing wrong that causes a OP to never make it to the front page?
    The front page of what? A post or reply you just made won't show normally up for you immediately in the "New Posts" list.

I could be wrong but I don't think a new post will show up for the poster until someone replies to it.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think a new post will show up for the poster until someone replies to it.....
    When I post a new new post and hit submit and then go the the forum front page where I posted it, my post is right at the top of the list in the Inline mode no matter how many read or unread posts there are in the forum.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    When I post a new new post and hit submit and then go the the forum front page where I posted it, my post is right at the top of the list in the Inline mode no matter how many read or unread posts there are in the forum.

I was hoping mine would work like that but I must go somewhere else to see if there was more discussion. Not a good experience at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post

I was hoping mine would work like that but I must go somewhere else to see if there was more discussion. Not a good experience at all.
    What are your Display viewing settings? Try the Inline Mode.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Assuming you have things set so you "subscribe" to any thread you participate in, including those you create, simply clicking on "settings" up at the top, right of the page will give you a list of subscribed threads that have new posts. That's how I start my visit to SMC every time...I review threads I'm already involved in and then move on to browse the forum areas I enjoy from there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Assuming you have things set so you "subscribe" to any thread you participate in, including those you create, simply clicking on "settings" up at the top, right of the page will give you a list of subscribed threads that have new posts. That's how I start my visit to SMC every time...I review threads I'm already involved in and then move on to browse the forum areas I enjoy from there.
    I do a similar thing, but use Forum/Quick Links/Subscribed Threads which gives a list of all those threads I've participated in, bold for those that contain new, unread posts. It even shows those already read which is handy at times.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I always just hit 'new posts' as soon as I log on.

I never log off, just close out the page. After I do so, does it still show me logged on?

I don't use "new posts" simply because it will display a lot of threads in areas I don't visit and am not interested in, but it's a great way to see what's going on!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a customized “new posts” that brings up new posts in the forums I’m interested in. I hardly ever subscribe to individual threads.

sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=3,4,5,7,8,10,11,12,16 ,20,21,23,29,35,38,39,40,42,43,44,54,57,59,67,68
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Bruce. Hadn't noticed that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Where do those someones see it if it isn't on the page that appears when New Posts is clicked on?