Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absent OP

Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post
    Where do those someones see it if it isn't on the page that appears when New Posts is clicked on?
    Again...I could be wrong... but I think it was mentioned earlier that the OP may not see it in "New Posts" until someone replies to it because there is nothing new in it for you until there is a reply....for everyone else who clicks on "New Posts" it would show up because it's new to them... someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Where do those someones see it if it isn't on the page that appears when New Posts is clicked on?
    The thread remains in the forum area you posted it in originally. If there is no activity, if obviously floats down the list. Threads never go away, however...SMC content goes right back to the very beginning in early 2003.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Again...I could be wrong... but I think it was mentioned earlier that the OP may not see it in "New Posts" until someone replies to it because there is nothing new in it for you until there is a reply....for everyone else who clicks on "New Posts" it would show up because it's new to them... someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
    Barry, that's correct. Unless there is activity, a thread will not show up in "new post" or in "subscribed threads" when one clicks on "settings".
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Barry, that's correct. Unless there is activity, a thread will not show up in "new post" or in "subscribed threads" when one clicks on "settings".
    How does anyone ever see an OP if it doesn't appear on the page when - New Post - is clicked on?

Robert, you will never see your recent post on the New Post page. All "New Posts" are relative only to the viewer (you) and are posts you have not read. When you create a new post and submit it, the vBulletin software flags the post as if you have read it, so it will never show up in the new post search. However, if I look at the New Posts page immediately after you submit a post, I will see your post at or very near the top of the list. It's actual position in the list will depend on how many other members are submitting posts at the same time.

In other words, the listing in the New Post page is not universal for everyone, it is specific to you and your viewing history. As an experiment, go to the bottom of the main page and click on "Mark Forums Read". This will set a flag in the software that tells vBulletin that you have read every post. If you check the "New Posts" page, it will be empty. If you quickly make a post in this thread and check the "New Posts" page again, it will still be empty unless another member submitted a post between those two actions.

In other words if someone replies, my OP appears on the - New Post - page then disappears again. If 2 days later I would like to review what that reply was I must go to some page other than -New Post - page to find it?

In other words if someone replies, my OP appears on the - New Post - page then disappears again. If 2 days later I would like to review what that reply was I must go to some page other than -New Post - page to find it?
    Yes, but with more explanation. If someone replies to one of your threads, the post will be on the New Posts until you read it. As soon as you read it, it will disappear from the New Posts page. If you want to read the thread again anytime later, you must remember which forum you created the thread. As you might know, any thread you have created or have commented in will have a little green arrow in the lower right corner of the envelope icon for each thread. This makes it easier to find those threads in which you post.

Thread_Indicator.jpg

Here are examples of the New Posts displays from a few minutes ago. The first is how the New Posts page looked before I opened this thread. Click on the image to enlarge it.

New_Post-1.jpg

This is how the New Posts pate looked immediately after I opened this thread.

New_Post-2.jpg

As soon as I submit this post, I'll grab a screen capture of the New Posts page and will add it to this post. This will show that I don't see this thread since vBulletin flags it for me as read, which hopefully is the last post before I can capture the image.

Update: Here is the New Posts page a few seconds after I submitted this post. In the time I was creating this post, there have been new posts made to the SMC. This thread is not on the list despite me adding a new post to it. However, everyone else looking at the New Posts page will see the results of my new post.

New_Post-3.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 04-25-2019 at 6:20 PM.

Yes, as I noted above, your thread will be in the same forum you originally posted it in and will be there "forever". The "New Post" page only displays threads that actually have new activity since the last time you visited SMC.
    --

I get an email if someone replies to one of my posts then I clic the link in the email to see what the reply was.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't use "new posts" simply because it will display a lot of threads in areas I don't visit and am not interested in, but it's a great way to see what's going on!
    That's what I've been accustomed to on any forum I've ever been on but I don't ever see that being the case here. I see I joined in 2008 and now I've determined that's why I avoided the site many years ago. You folks have an enjoyable time but I don't need this kind of complications this late in life. There are other places that may be able to use my 7 decades of knowledge that I submit for free. I'm out.

This forum doesn't work materially different than any other vBulletin or Xenforo or other forum software based forum does. But to your point, if you're not enjoying the SMC community, you are not forced to participate. No harm if you prefer to hang out somewhere else. Enjoy!
    --

That's what I've been accustomed to on any forum I've ever been on but I don't ever see that being the case here. I see I joined in 2008 and now I've determined that's why I avoided the site many years ago. You folks have an enjoyable time but I don't need this kind of complications this late in life. There are other places that may be able to use my 7 decades of knowledge that I submit for free. I'm out.
    Oh Well.... you've had a FREE ride for 11 years.... I think we'll all get along just fine if you decide to leave...

How does anyone ever see an OP if it doesn't appear on the page when - New Post - is clicked on?
    Everyone else will always see all new posts when they click on New Post. Only you won't see a post you just made. It used to work differently but I'm used to it now. (All that said, I sometimes see my own post immediately in New Posts but I haven't been able to figure out the circumstances.)

JKJ