Thread: Speaking of Sharpening

Speaking of Sharpening

When very rural sometimes we find it best just to do it ourselves. In this case 4,000 plus file strokes will sharpen my 6 tpi band saw blade. It did very well for 4 years cutting fire wood for the shop stove and then the weld broke. Oh well, I bought the saw and 5 blades at auction about 10 years ago for 50 bucks and it's served me well.

Maybe some young whipper snappers will question why a magnifier. Here is hoping you live long enough to need one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/sharpening.html

For a down and dirty alternative (you would need a bigger table).

I have sharpened my bandsaw blades for many years now, including a carbide resaw blade. A Dremel and diamond disk are all that is needed (simply stroke the back of the blade behind the face). The blade stays on the bandsaw while sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have sharpened my bandsaw blades for many years now, including a carbide resaw blade. A Dremel and diamond disk are all that is needed (simply stroke the back of the blade behind the face). The blade stays on the bandsaw while sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    My son has one of those expensive carbide band blades I'd like to try that technique on.

Simply remove a smidgeon off the rear of the face. Gently does it. Keep the angle consistent.

My carbide is a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use a different type of tooling to sharpen my bandsaw blades.