Thread: older cast iron delta band saw

older cast iron delta band saw

I'm in the process of upgrading my Delta BS. Just about to start the painting phase. I hoped to use rattle cans. I read on owwm.org that the color was Rustoleum Smokey gray but have had difficulty finding that, at least in the big box and auto parts stores.
    I did a total rebuild on my pm66. Had the same issue , ended up getting a custom color. A couple hundred bucks later... don't want to do that again. Any chance one of you guys know of an updated version for a 60s 28-203 ?
    Thanks in advance and Happy Easter

Have you tried Google? It comes up for me, although it's "smoke grey" not "smoky grey".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. You are correct, will continue the search

Lud,

It's an exact match. I used the brush on version to repaint a Delta scroll saw stand. Can't tell the difference between the original paint on the scroll saw and the repainted stand. Home Depot has both.

Tractor supply has Ford gray and Massey Ferguson gray. They are a close match to most machine greys. Comes in spray cans, quarts and gallons. I use Coleman fuel to thin them. No need for the hardener in your summers.
    Use double the thinner California labels recommends if you spray.
    Bil lD

Krylon K05160807 ColorMaster is one of the modern iterations of the old 1608 smoke gray color that was so popular for Delta machines. There are several other formulas of the smoke gray that krylon makes, most of them have the 1608 numbers in the product code.

I'm glad this thread came up.

I have two 1940's Delta machines I want to clean up: A 12" bandsaw and a 6" jointer.

Sweet.

When I did mine Rustoleum 'light machine gray' was what I used. They also had a darker 'machine gray' that looks just like older Delta gray. Home Depot.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yeah, Delta had a few different shades of grey, depending on the when the machine was made. I always use Rustoleum Dark Machine Grey and call it close enough. It was a close match for 1950s Delta machine, and a bit dark and cool for a 1930s machine.

A Google search shows that Lowes & Home Depot carry "Smoke Grey" in spray can & brush on.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

FWIW, you also might be able to get a match at an custom automotive paint store. I know there was one close to me that would match colors for cars, and create a rattlecan of the appropriate color.