Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Strop care and maintenance

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    80 k grit is about 10 times finer than what is needed. Sharpen to 1200 - 1500 and go to a strop. The grit levels some sharpen to today is insane.
    Tool sharpness is an addictive pursuit. For me the various levels of shaving arm hair are usually sharp enough. If my straight razors were regularly used, my face's comfort considerations might get me to take it up a notch into the realm of hanging hair tests for sharpness.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Tool sharpness is an addictive pursuit. For me the various levels of shaving arm hair are usually sharp enough. If my straight razors were regularly used, my face's comfort considerations might get me to take it up a notch into the realm of hanging hair tests for sharpness.

jtk
    Yup and with razors, sometimes a duller blade is better. Duller in razor terms is still very sharp, but I don't see anyone raving about the shaves they get off diamond stropping compound, but many use CrOx or Coticule and other naturals as finishers and love the shave they get. There is NO woodworking that can't be performed effectively coming off a soft Arkansas and a strop.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    YThere is NO woodworking that can't be performed effectively coming off a soft Arkansas and a strop.
    On the other hand, there is a ton of woodworking that I am unable to do even if sharpened to a perfect edge!