Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd question perhaps for Boston area

Odd question perhaps for Boston area

Hello, I'm in the military and recently got stationed in the Boston area and am enjoying some woodworking out of the garage. It's an apartment garage, so tools are limited. I am trying to increase my skills in furniture, but need some help re sawing lumber down to thinner pieces for doors and such. Does anyone know of a place in the Boston area where I could do this? it seems like such a waste to run it through the planer a bunch of times and waste that material and subject a planer to that wear and tear (I dont have a planer, just one idea i had thought of). I decided to add a picture of something i just finished. Not a master by any means, but sure having fun.

Any advice helps! Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Jacob
    Attached Images Attached Images

First, thank you for your service! Second, welcome to the Creek.

My father got started woodworking in his various bases' carpentry shops. I would suspect there's at least one in your area..?? If so, you could likely find a larger bandsaw, suitable for the re-saw work you are looking into.

I think some of the SMC'ers might be willing to mentor you along the way, or possibly allow use of their bandsaw. (I'm a bit far, but yell if you get blessed with duty in Texas!!)

And lastly, you'll receive instant and massive assistance in how to spend your money should you even hint that a bandsaw purchase might be under consideration.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-21-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo

When I was starting out I signed up for adult ed woodworking at the local high school that give me access to a great shop (and a decent instructor) for a very reasonable price. The technical high schools in eastern MA all (I think) offer such programs-- the days of every high school having a decent shop are long gone.

There's a place called Artisan's Asylum in Somerville that has some sort of open access woodshop, I know nothing about it, unfortunately.

I only have a small bandsaw, so I'm afraid can't be of much help. Happy to help out if you need something in the 6" or smaller range.

The guys at the Woodery in Lunenberg are very helpful and will do some kinds of prep work, I don't know if resawing is something they do, but couldn't hurt to ask. They have pretty good lumber at fair prices. Another thing to do would be to call Boulter Plywood in Somerville and ask if they have a recommendation for someone closer to the city who could do that for you.

I'm so glad to see a table with tapered legs as opposed to the clunky 4x4 disease that's been so prevalent the last few years. That tells us you are master material.

If all the above mention suggestions aren't directly helpful, those are people that may very well provide leads that lead to re-saw success for you. I have a son that's been sawing 13" Mesquite logs with a 14" Jet that would enjoy sawing for you just for the fun of it but he is a 2 day drive away.

Also I thank you for your service. I did mine in the late 1950's and survived 2-1/2 years in AK.

I’m in Natick Ma,

20 min west of Boston right off rt9.

I’m I have MM s500p with a 1” blade stupmfor just that purpose.

If you can catch me at home I’d be happy to resaw whatever for you provided it doesn’t trash my blade. I’m a busy guy so I don’t have much time to hang out and talk shop much but if you can be in and out “for the most part” I’d be happy to help you.

Lots of people have helped me...

“Boston area” is a little vague, but I’m in Lunenburg right off of Rt.2 and I have a MM20 dedicated for resaw. More than happy to have you over and do whatever you need.

John
    jlanciani at gmail dot com

Considering that I've found John incredibly knowledgeable about bandsaws (and many other things), I'd jump at his offer.

BTW, is Somerville Lumber still in business? I used to buy lumber from them when I went to MIT many moons ago.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Wow! What an incredible amount of information. So glad I found you guys and put a post up! I’m more specifically in Ashland , so Natick is right down the road. Patrick and John, I would be eternally grateful. I’m actually heading back home to Oregon tomorrow to see family for a week. Hoping to bring back some new hardwoods from a local store out there now that I know you have so generously offered a little help milling it. I can’t thank you all enough for all the information.

Jacob,

Enjoy the time at home.

My benchmate lives in Ashland.

I have a 16” jointer planer your also welcome to. At work in stow I have all the same minus the resaw but we do have a widebelt You could also use so long as it’s not often but intermittent..

Quote Originally Posted by jacob quesnell View Post
    Wow! What an incredible amount of information. So glad I found you guys and put a post up! I’m more specifically in Ashland , so Natick is right down the road. Patrick and John, I would be eternally grateful. I’m actually heading back home to Oregon tomorrow to see family for a week. Hoping to bring back some new hardwoods from a local store out there now that I know you have so generously offered a little help milling it. I can’t thank you all enough for all the information.

Somerville Lumber has been gone for over 20 years. The flagship Somerville location you probably remember as a student in Cambridge was razed and is nowadays a supermarket. I recall hearing that when Home Depot arrived nearby in the early 1990s, their sales immediately fell 30%. ...Memories...
    Last edited by David Stone (CT); 04-21-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Hi Jacob,

I am off 495 NW and in Waltham/Cambridge regularly. Am happy to offer help as needed.

The two shared wood shop spaces I knew of in the Boston area are both now out of business.

On another note I lived near Portland OR for years. Some nice woodworking there. Enjoy the visit to the northwest and safe travels.

Carl, thank you so much! I believe that is pretty close to me as well. I will definitely take you up on that. Pat and John, again thank you and if you all really don’t mind I am beyond ecstatic to be able to pick up some rough cut lumber and give it a try. Do you all have any favorite woods that I should look for? I’ve been playing with cheap knotty pine mostly and feel like I am ready to up my game to more fun to look at woods.

Ask, what Is a benchmate Patrick Walsh? Sorry if that’s a dumb question !

Quote Originally Posted by jacob quesnell View Post
    Carl, thank you so much! I believe that is pretty close to me as well. I will definitely take you up on that. Pat and John, again thank you and if you all really don’t mind I am beyond ecstatic to be able to pick up some rough cut lumber and give it a try. Do you all have any favorite woods that I should look for? I’ve been playing with cheap knotty pine mostly and feel like I am ready to up my game to more fun to look at woods.
    My personal favorite wood is curly maple, followed closely by QS sycamore. I have a bunch of curly maple right now, I could part with some reasonably if you’re interested.

Patrick is by far the closest to you but based on his posting here he is keeps a crazy busy schedule for himself. Carl is a great guy (I’ve met him and been to his shop) and he’s about a half hour from you. I’m 15 minutes further west than Carl, but I have pretty good availability on Fridays and weekends. I also have the ability to joint, plane, resaw and sand up to 16” width stock with ease.

And John has a workshop that is from outer space... worth checking out.

Jacob, I would try some basic cherry stock. Pretty universal for a variety of projects. Although I tend to go peruse the wood and pick up what strikes my eye, then figure out what to build with it.