Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JDS 750 Air Cleaner - remote control replacement?

JDS 750 Air Cleaner - remote control replacement?

I have 2 JDS 750's, and neither has a remote. (one broke long ago, & one got lost) JDS no longer sells them.

Is it possible to buy a third-party replacement? Or maybe make one?

I mostly just run them full out, anyway, but it would be nice to have this.

I looked online but didn’t see any kind of “generic” or 3rd party remote. I have a Jet AFS 1000B and found replacement remotes for it at bizjettools.com for $20.70.

i don’t know it it will work with yours but if you want to “gamble” 20 bucks, you might be able to return it if it doesn’t work.

I know it’s not a great answer but I thought it might help. Let us know if you try it and it works.

The battery in my remote leaked and ruined the contacts. I contacted them years ago via email and they said a generic was available but I never called to get the details because I was able to fix my remote.

I'm in the same boat, Allan. My 750 remote will start the system, but none of the other controls will work. I have to climb a ladder to stop the darned thing. You would think that something that only sees occasional light duty would not fail from just sitting there.

My Jet air cleaner and my Grizzly cyclone have the same remotes. I have to be careful or the wrong thing turns on. Perhaps the JDS is the same also.

I just use a remote switch from TrueValue for my JDS 750 that was rated high enough for the tool. The remote switch plugs into the wall and the unit plugs into it. I can physically reach the unit to change the speed if I want. The remote is purely for "on-off" so I can have a centralized switch for it "co-located" where my centralized DC switch is positioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, I've already done the same, Jim. And mostly I always ran at full speed in the past, anyway.

- But I just picked up that second 750, so I may want to be able to vary the speed now.

Maybe there's a way to add a wired controller for that, and mount it lower on the wall. That would be all I really need, esp if it could control both units at the same time. Ughh - Another good idea that I'll probably NEVER find time to look into.....

Makes sense, Allan, if you can find a more full featured remote.

BTW, I got a replacement internal filter from Woodcraft this past year. I saw you asked about that in the other thread.
    --

NEW IDEA / QUESTION:

While fan speed is not a huge concern for me, I WOULD like to have the timer function.
    My other unit is a very early odel and doesn't even HAVE speeds or a timer.

SO I'm WONDERING:

1: Is it possible to rig a speed control for these squirrel-cage blowers? (are they DC?)

2: Is there any "ac remote" system available that has a built-in shutoff timer?

3: If #2 is a 'non," then is then a separate timer one could buy, that is very simple? In other words, not a "start time & stop time" timer, which are common, but simply a "run for X hours then turn off" timer?

If all this is possible, then one could have two air cleaners mounted in the proper location, and have one centralized control-box, in any convenient location, with a speed knob and the shut-off timer.

Heck, you could probably even mount flow-sensing indicators in the air cleaners, with their read-outs mounted to this control box as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Maybe there's a way to add a wired controller for that, and mount it lower on the wall. That would be all I really need, esp if it could control both units at the same time. Ughh - Another good idea that I'll probably NEVER find time to look into.....
    I have two air cleaners. The smaller one is wired to go on with the lights. It's that simple.

I hate to resurrect an older thread, but I managed to get my JDS 750 ER running again with a simple fix and thought I'd pass it on. Even though it only got light use, the unit hasn't worked properly in a couple of years... and the JDS company is no longer in business. This model has three motor speeds and several timer options, which I like. The remote would turn it on, but it would only work on high speed (low and medium just hummed) and the remote wouldn't shut it off. I got really tired of climbing a ladder to shut it off and just stopped using it. A couple of YouTuber's suggested replacing capacitors (CAP's), which apparently can dry out over time. Even though I'm in way over my head on anything fed by electricity, I decided to take it apart and see if it could be fixed. I spent $40 on an ESR meter, which is used to check capacitors.
    IMG_3777.jpg,

There is one 8µF CAP on the motor, which checked out OK.
    IMG_3745.jpg,

The only others I could find were on the circuit board...and there were several.
    IMG_3765-C.jpg,

This one looked like the culprit in the YouTube videos:
    IMG_3766.jpg ,

Even though the CAP didn't show any outward signs of being bad, the ESR Meter showed it to be out of limits, so replacing it may fix the problem.
    IMG_3770.jpg,

The mail lady brought a package of new capacitors today and I soldered in the replacement, reassembled everything and it cranked right up and ran like a charm. Wrestling it from/to the ceiling was the hardest part of the whole thing. Cost me $40 for a new ESR meter that I will probably use again, and five bucks for CAPS. Not a bad price to have it working again, and I learned something in the process.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 09-19-2020 at 9:37 PM.

'Glad you found a resolution, Ted! My JDS is the older non-remote, variable speed version and so far, no issues...{crossables crossed}
    --

I have exactly the opposite problem: I have TWO remotes that appear to work, but a unit that has been rewired to circumvent the timer/remote system, and would be willing to trade a remote for help (advice) with rewiring the unit. The cleaner was surplused from an old job, and I wasn't involved with the work- it was powered up via a switched outlet. Unfortunately, the wiring diagram on the interior of the filter door doesn't reflect the existing build as far as I can tell.

As is: hotwired_JDS_750.jpg
    The not terribly helpful diagram: 750_wiring_diagram.jpg

It's obvious where the wires were cut, but not so obvious which connects with which. If someone could post photos of an unmolested wiring harness with visible details I'd be happy to send them a remote (North America only, please!) Thank you!!

(Don't forget to unplug before opening...)

Paul, I can't offer advice, but here are some pictures of my 750 wiring harness, if it will help you figure things out.
    IMG_3743.jpg,IMG_3734.jpg,,IMG_3747.jpg

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed. There were only so many options available, but the repercussions for making the wrong choice were a bit ominous. Nice repair on your own unit, btw. Are you in need of a remote?