Thread: JDS 750 Air Cleaner - remote control replacement?

JDS 750 Air Cleaner - remote control replacement?

I have 2 JDS 750's, and neither has a remote. (one broke long ago, & one got lost) JDS no longer sells them.

Is it possible to buy a third-party replacement? Or maybe make one?

I mostly just run them full out, anyway, but it would be nice to have this.

I looked online but didn’t see any kind of “generic” or 3rd party remote. I have a Jet AFS 1000B and found replacement remotes for it at bizjettools.com for $20.70.

i don’t know it it will work with yours but if you want to “gamble” 20 bucks, you might be able to return it if it doesn’t work.

I know it’s not a great answer but I thought it might help. Let us know if you try it and it works.

The battery in my remote leaked and ruined the contacts. I contacted them years ago via email and they said a generic was available but I never called to get the details because I was able to fix my remote.

I'm in the same boat, Allan. My 750 remote will start the system, but none of the other controls will work. I have to climb a ladder to stop the darned thing. You would think that something that only sees occasional light duty would not fail from just sitting there.

My Jet air cleaner and my Grizzly cyclone have the same remotes. I have to be careful or the wrong thing turns on. Perhaps the JDS is the same also.

I just use a remote switch from TrueValue for my JDS 750 that was rated high enough for the tool. The remote switch plugs into the wall and the unit plugs into it. I can physically reach the unit to change the speed if I want. The remote is purely for "on-off" so I can have a centralized switch for it "co-located" where my centralized DC switch is positioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, I've already done the same, Jim. And mostly I always ran at full speed in the past, anyway.

- But I just picked up that second 750, so I may want to be able to vary the speed now.

Maybe there's a way to add a wired controller for that, and mount it lower on the wall. That would be all I really need, esp if it could control both units at the same time. Ughh - Another good idea that I'll probably NEVER find time to look into.....

Makes sense, Allan, if you can find a more full featured remote.

BTW, I got a replacement internal filter from Woodcraft this past year. I saw you asked about that in the other thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

NEW IDEA / QUESTION:

While fan speed is not a huge concern for me, I WOULD like to have the timer function.
    My other unit is a very early odel and doesn't even HAVE speeds or a timer.

SO I'm WONDERING:

1: Is it possible to rig a speed control for these squirrel-cage blowers? (are they DC?)

2: Is there any "ac remote" system available that has a built-in shutoff timer?

3: If #2 is a 'non," then is then a separate timer one could buy, that is very simple? In other words, not a "start time & stop time" timer, which are common, but simply a "run for X hours then turn off" timer?

If all this is possible, then one could have two air cleaners mounted in the proper location, and have one centralized control-box, in any convenient location, with a speed knob and the shut-off timer.

Heck, you could probably even mount flow-sensing indicators in the air cleaners, with their read-outs mounted to this control box as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Maybe there's a way to add a wired controller for that, and mount it lower on the wall. That would be all I really need, esp if it could control both units at the same time. Ughh - Another good idea that I'll probably NEVER find time to look into.....
    I have two air cleaners. The smaller one is wired to go on with the lights. It's that simple.