Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving my workshop

Blog Entries
    Just a ton of options. Latest one is to trade in our CR-V and Odyssey and buy a SUV with a little muscle and tow a trailer for my workshop and whatever we can get in and rent some space for the time being. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Kind of nice to have all this time to plan.

Our move was local, but we paid a private mover to move the workshops. I took the fence rails and CI extensions off the table saw and did some blocking on the 15" planer. I also packed all the boxes of "small stuff". Hubby had a blast cabinet, small mill, motorcycle lift, 5HP compressor and various smaller things like floor standing buffers. He also had several boxes of the small stuff. They charged us $375.00 to load, move and unload all of this and put it exactly where we wanted each piece. It was worth every single penny.

Be sure that insurance for moving is for ACV or Replacement Value (preferred) not the default "by weight"...heavy, but expensive items like tools get short-changed if there is damage or loss with the default by-weight insurance from movers/carriers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Good point that hadn't occurred to me, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Our move was local, but we paid a private mover to move the workshops. It was worth every single penny.
    That's what we did for moving my folks many years ago. And it was indeed worth every penny. Didn't even have to unload the dressers, they just loaded the whole works and, like Lisa said, put it exactly where we wanted on the other end.

Jim also makes a good point. We talked to several moving companies. Some weren't what you would call completely legit. Basically two guys and a truck (in fact one company was named Two Guys and a Truck) with no insurance at all, let alone the kind that gets you full replacement value. Caveat Emptor!

Blog Entries
    I've moved a couple of times over the years but this is my first time going it alone. The others were corporate sponsored so not only was it easy it was also cheap. This time will not be easy and it sure won't be cheap and I definitely will hire people to do it. My original plan was to just move the workshop using a POD or similar system so I can get the garage empty a few months prior to the move. My thoughts changed a little based on all the excellent suggestions but I think my original plan may be the best.

I know someone who purchased a shipping container for about $1500, filled it, then hired a truck to move it. The advantage to him was that it was all done on his timeline, he was moving away from the coast so he was able to sell the container for more than he paid after he got settled.