Thread: Black Locust Plant Stands

Black Locust Plant Stands

I put the finish on these last weekend, and they're now sat in the living room awaiting the Great Spring 2019 Plant Rearrangement. The idea for these came from Jay Bates' Angled Half Lap Three Tier Shelf. The biggest change I made was reversing the side that the half-laps were on. This allowed me to rest the shelves on them, as I was worried that the amount of weight from the plants would be hard to support with just screws.

Another change was adding crosspieces, I was originally going to use wedged, through tenons here but liked this chamfered version enough to keep it.

These are just over four feet tall and 28 inches wide. The shelves are spaced every 15 inches, start at 14 inches deep at the bottom and narrow to eight inches deep at the top. They are secured to the half lap side pieces via tabletop fasteners and stainless steel screws. Black locust is very resistant to decay so they should have no problem being outdoors, but as added protection I poured some resin on the endgrain of the feet.
    Last edited by Dave Susco; 04-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Very nicely done, Dave. What finish did you use? That color would fit our purpose too.

You did good sir. Good choice of species for outdoors and I've always wondered what Black Locust looked like milled. The Black Locust trees we have are mostly used for fence posts and the wood stove charts list it as excellent fire wood.

If I had made those for my late Mother In-law they would have never been allowed outdoors but filled with African Violets indoors. The Violets she raised were of such quality she had retailers asking her to supply them.
    Last edited by robert wiggins; 04-21-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Robert. It wasn't the easiest to joint, its density had it hopping and chattering going over the blades (think hard maple and then make it even harder). We have a helical head planer at my maker space though and that did an excellent job on it.

The wife has one violent and then dozens of cactus, succulents and other warm weather plants. I'm just happy to not have them on the deck this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Susco View Post
    Thanks Robert. It wasn't the easiest to joint, its density had it hopping and chattering going over the blades (think hard maple and then make it even harder). We have a helical head planer at my maker space though and that did an excellent job on it.

The wife has one violent and then dozens of cactus, succulents and other warm weather plants. I'm just happy to not have them on the deck this summer.
    I had forgotten about the 10" Dia. x 5 Ft. Black Locust log on our other property. A son cut it to clear an area for deer hunting. The usable portion is only about 5 ft. long because of a defect. That could have happened during it's early life when a buck deer needed it for a rub. It's been laid down for about 2 years and it'll be just right. I better get it before someone needs it for a corner post and then see if I can get it about 300 miles to another son that can saw it. While there, as you mentioned it will test the condition of the blades on his little 12" Wen planer.

With your permission I'd like to send a pic of your plant stands to the boys. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a good find.

Sure, go for it. There's unfinished pics up on my blog too: https://two-bit-woodworker.blogspot....Plant%20Stands
    https://two-bit-woodworker.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Susco View Post
    Sounds like a good find.

Sure, go for it. There's unfinished pics up on my blog too: https://two-bit-woodworker.blogspot....Plant%20Stands
    After viewing your Blog and reading the title I recommend changing the Blog title to - Six-Bit-Woodworker - at least, and those through tenons sure define the quality of your work.

I really couldn't imagine the density of that wood until I saw the close up end grain in your pics. That looks like a rock. I'm thinking that log will surely test my new chainsaw.

Thanks