Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which plane to get

What hole are you trying to fill? How and when you use planes in your work is highly personal to your method of working. Identify your need first.

Lots of good suggestions here. May I offer another?

Like many have offered, consider a plane that will offer the greatest utility. I started out with a hardware store block plane similar to what you have. Even well fettled it wasn't good for much but breaking edges. I'd consider a Lie Nielsen #102 or a Lee Valley Apron Plane. It will offer up a couple things. First, it will give you a feel for what a decent plane can do. Secondly, it will be super handy for all sorts of small jobs. I have a #102 and it gets used a bunch.

The second thing I'd do is fettle the daylights out of the #4 you have. Tune it to the enth degree so you have a well functioning small smoother. Do the same with the #5, but camber the blade slightly so it functions as a proper jack.

Now build some stuff. As you prepare stock and run through the build process, what you need will become obvious. That is if you need anything.

When I started my journey I acquired a large number of bench planes I thought I needed but ultimately never used. I just got done selling them off. I wish I'd purchased what I knew I needed versus what I thought I'd needed. Had I spent more time in the shop building things than I did out on rush hunts I'd have been better off for it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I am only a few months ahead of you but I think you have a good start. I also got vintage 4,5 and 7. The 5 had not been touched in years, and the 7 needed some clean up and the 4 had already been tuned. I have not done a full restoration on the 5 and 7 yet but did spend time flattening the back of the blades and sharpening and I am getting great results from them. In addition to the really good threads here, Paul Sellers has a good video on restoring a plane.

At this point I would spend your money on a router plane and a good set of diamond stones. This in addition to some basic chisels will let do almost any type of joinery.

I have the LA jack, and also a skewed rabbet block plane. I use the skewed block plane more (more often than not reach for my standard bench plane instead of the LA).

The skewed block plane I do use for cleaning up tenons and shoulders and other joinery touchups.

I dont put either one of them at the top of my list. Standard bench planes (couple different sizes). Good standard block plane (but to your point yes I feel a rabbet version can substitute). Then 'for me', I use my small 212 scraper plane a lot. And a 'shoulder plane'. Then I would put the small 'router plane' just behind the skewed block plane in use.

I would put scrapers third on the list (after a block plane).

Of the two, I would use the rabbet block plane more than the LA jack.

But I do a combination of machine plus hand work.