Thread: Table saw dust collection shut off

Table saw dust collection shut off

Any good ideas on how to attach a dust collection hose to the back of a cabinet saw. It seems easy enough, especially if I am willing. to cut a 6" diameter hole.
    But I do not see any good way to open and close the connector from the front of the saw. I suppose I could rig and electrical or pneumatic device but that seems like overkill for only one connection.
    Bill D.

I cut a 6" hole in the right side of my rip saw, and put a blast gate 5' off the floor to the right of the saw. I attached a stick to the blast gate, so I don't have to reach across (climb over) a big table. Being on the side, the dust collection doesn't get in the way of the outfeed table. Installing the hose on the left side would create a tripping hazard.

What about a spring loaded blast gate and just a rope and a sheave that attaches to a bracket under the front of the table? Two knots on the rope, open and closed. Low tech, will never fail, rather simple to make and very low cost!
    front.jpg
    rear.jpg
    Hope this is clear!

Without physical access to that area of the saw, the most practical solution is probably to put the gate away from the saw, such as where the hose connects to the drop you are using if that is accessible. My gate for the slider is "overhead" in that respect. Another solution if you want to throw money at it is to get one of the electrically controlled gates and rig up a switch if you don't want to embrace the whole "system" and it's associated cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. In my shop with a cement floor, I found the saw was a little low for me.. (6'2") so I placed 2x6 on the flat around the edge.. I was in the same situation you are but opted to put a 6" to 2x14 duct on the outside edge..
    I then put another one inside and attached a 3ft piece of flex hose to that and connected the flex hose to the bottom of the trunion of the saw.. Dust collection is right at the blade pulling straight down.. BUT.. PITA if you drop anything like the arbor nut in there... but works great.. for me.. the added height also set my workbench at a better height for me... Best of both worlds.. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Allan LeBlanc View Post
    In my shop with a cement floor, I found the saw was a little low for me.. (6'2") so I placed 2x6 on the flat around the edge.. I was in the same situation you are but opted to put a 6" to 2x14 duct on the outside edge..
    I then put another one inside and attached a 3ft piece of flex hose to that and connected the flex hose to the bottom of the trunion of the saw.. Dust collection is right at the blade pulling straight down.. BUT.. PITA if you drop anything like the arbor nut in there... but works great.. for me.. the added height also set my workbench at a better height for me... Best of both worlds.. Hope this helps...
    I am thinking about removing the sheet metal plinth. which is about 5-6 inches tall. I could then set the saw on a wooden plinth made of say 8X8's. and 2x8's. to raise it a few inches and make it easy to cut in a 6" dust port. Not sure how big a angle iron I need to use to make a mobile base as the hose has to go above that. I am thinking about 2.5" x 1/4".
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien La Madeleine View Post
    What about a spring loaded blast gate and just a rope and a sheave that attaches to a bracket under the front of the table? Two knots on the rope, open and closed. Low tech, will never fail, rather simple to make and very low cost!
    front.jpg
    rear.jpg
    Hope this is clear!
    I love this idea, but I just put a flexible hose to the back of the tablesaw, then located a blast gate on the left side of the saw where it is easily accessible.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.