Thread: red maple hollow form in progress

red maple hollow form in progress

Picked up some red maple log sections earlier in the week. This hollow form came from the one of the smaller logs it was 22 inches in diameter with an off centered pith that i took advantage of. It was oriented side grain the blank was 18" wide x 13" tall. Final rough turn was about 15"x13". As always c&c is welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Red Maple is now my favourite wood to turn and emebeish! I haven't yet tried anything this large though! Are you going to let it dry now?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

yes the outside is coated in anchor seal. Hopefully in a couple months it will be dry.

I've had really good luck with turning thin and right into my kiln and then back to the lathe for sanding and finishing!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Dont have a kiln. At the moment i have a back log of rough turnings that are in various states of drying. A bunch that are dry i have been putting on hold to turn down green wood before it cracks. Lately i have been finding logs that are to good to pass up before i finish the ones i already have.

I only thing I double turn is cremation urns. Everything else is one and done. Something like that down to 1/4" would work very well. I don't put them in a kiln, red maple dries very quickly and easily.