Thread: narrow wheel for tormek?

narrow wheel for tormek?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to build my first set of hollow/round moulding planes (and eventually a nice ogee plane) but I'm trying to figure out how to grind the inside profile on the hollow. I also just picked up a bunch of incannel gouges, so I have a coupe instances of the same basic problem, grinding a concave bevel profile.

I have a Tormek, with a fancy CBN wheel but not a regular grinder with a narrow (1/4") wheel which seems to be the tool of choice.

1) Does anyone have a way to mount a regular, narrow grinding wheel on a tormek? the speeds are so low I can't imagine this actually works.
    2) What else should I consider? Should I just go buy a regular grinder? Use files until I get to sandpaper on dowels? Something else?

Matt,

High Speed grinders are so cheap, there is little downside in just buying one for this purpose. They are everywhere at yard sales, and you can get a brand new one that runs at 1800 RPM from woodcraft for $110. You can likely find some much cheaper on Ebay. You will also want to get a diamond wheel dresser which is very useful in forming your narrow wheel into a curve to allow you to do your concave grind. If given the choice, get one with a white friable wheel which does not load up like the cheaper Aluminum Oxide wheels do.

Important safety note! Please wear a full face shield when using a high speed grinder, and on such a narrow wheel, do not use the side of the wheel ever. The damage done to the human face when a high speed grinding wheel blows up from misuse or an undetected crack is not something you ever want to experience.

Don't know if they will work for your application, but the grinding wheels I use with my chainsaw sharpener are pretty narrow. They are reshaped as needed with a small stone that came with the grinder, probably similar to one that comes with Dremel sets to dress and shape their small grinding wheels.

This place seems to carry various sizes. You might have to make a bushing.
    https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/C...izes-C257.aspx

I use Tormeks and just imagining it, I suspect the speed is too slow. One option might be to buy a chainsaw sharpening machine and use the motor and frame and make a tool rest. I use an Oregon from Northern Tool, I think it's the best one they offered at the time.

JKJ

4. I have a bench grinder set up with a metal cutoff wheel. It's fiber reinforced, about 1/8" wide and great for tight concave grinds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what I need to build my first set of hollow/round moulding planes (and eventually a nice ogee plane) but I'm trying to figure out how to grind the inside profile on the hollow. I also just picked up a bunch of incannel gouges, so I have a coupe instances of the same basic problem, grinding a concave bevel profile.

I have a Tormek, with a fancy CBN wheel but not a regular grinder with a narrow (1/4") wheel which seems to be the tool of choice.

1) Does anyone have a way to mount a regular, narrow grinding wheel on a tormek? the speeds are so low I can't imagine this actually works.
    2) What else should I consider? Should I just go buy a regular grinder? Use files until I get to sandpaper on dowels? Something else?
    Beyond the grinder for your plane irons and gouges you may also want a few slip stones.

If you like oilstones try these:

https://www.danswhetstone.com/product/slip-stones/

They also have 'files' of different shapes including round that are helpful.

If you like water stones these may be of interest:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...072,43071&ap=1

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Don't know if they will work for your application, but the grinding wheels I use with my chainsaw sharpener are pretty narrow. They are reshaped as needed with a small stone that came with the grinder, probably similar to one that comes with Dremel sets to dress and shape their small grinding wheels.

This place seems to carry various sizes. You might have to make a bushing.
    https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/C...izes-C257.aspx

I use Tormeks and just imagining it, I suspect the speed is too slow. One option might be to buy a chainsaw sharpening machine and use the motor and frame and make a tool rest. I use an Oregon from Northern Tool, I think it's the best one they offered at the time.

JKJ

Yep, I use these wheels on my 8" bench grinder. I get the 1/4" chainsaw wheels at Tractor Supply for about 15 bucks. They are a pink al ox wheel, soft, very good for shaping to a radius. Much better than a metal cutoff wheel, much cheaper than the Norton wheels.
    As John mentioned, you need an adapter to mount these wheels to a dry (high speed) grinder. I use the backing flange from my 4-1/2" angle grinder. You can get one for less than $5. Here's an example:
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/fl...hoCOOgQAvD_BwE

You'll probably also need a couple 5/8" washers to take up space on the arbor.
    Can't help with the Tormek; I don't have one and never will. I think it would take an awfully long time to rough out a molding profile on one. But the dry grinder works great for this application.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert