Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum Sanders

I also have the GO458. My advice, save your money and something better

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    If I'm following this correctly Performax is now owned by Jet. Have the machine designs and construction remained independent or in some way combined, or gone completely to Jet creation?
    The story goes that after Jet bought Performax, some of the key people at Performax split off and formed Supermax and continued development there, so no link now.

I had a supermax open ended machine for years. It was adequate but needed to be finessed quite often and the feed belt tracking was a pain sometimes. When i needed to be really precise i used to run it through once and then a second time reversing the board end for end.
    About 4 years ago i found a 15" grizzly widebelt on CL in great shape for $1800(single PH 5HP). Difference was gigantic. Finish is superb
    maintenance minmal So they are around....also the Sheng Shing 15 Really worth it if you can do it and have a decent compressor

Supermax is leading pack the this point I think. Gotta do some serious bean counting.

On the wide belt sanders it has been mentioned that they need compressed air. What do they use it for?
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Jim,

I just got an email saying Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on Super Max until April 30th.

Not sure if that will still blow your budget but everything helps.

Bill

I got that one too William
    The stars seem to be aligning.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

The starts were not aligning. It was an incoming meteor.
    I did some bean counting and decided this was gonna be my Christmas, birthday, and every other event present to myself for the next 2 years and went for the Supermax 25-50.
    I was immediately punished for that decision because after my 4+ hour round trip to the closest store stocking it, I got home only to find concealed damage to the base door.
    Email and pics sent to Woodcraft. We'll see what happens next.

Blog Entries
    At least it is a non-critical part. Sending a replacement door should be no trouble and you can certainly use it in the mean time ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The replacement should be easy enough. Unfortunately the door frame is a structural part used to join together the ends of the closed stand. I think I'm dead in the water until the new part arrives.
    The entire day was this kind of fiasco.
    Tomorrow will be better