Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws and Oil Leaking

Chainsaws and Oil Leaking

Does you chainsaw leak oil when in storage? My saw in question is a CS310 Echo and leaks oil even after loosening the filler cap as recommended by the retailer. The only way I see to remedy the situation is to drain the tank. Hopefully someone has a simpler idea. No I won't trade it for a Steel.

My Husky leaks when standing upright, I lay it on its side (filler caps up) and it's fine.

Interesting, didn't think other people had this problem too. I have a stihl 660 I use for slab milling hanging above my jointer, and it sometimes leaves little drips of bar oil on my jointer bed. My lazy solution was just to stick an oil pan on the jointer when I'm not using it, but draining it into an empty oil bottle might be a better.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My Husky leaks when standing upright, I lay it on its side (filler caps up) and it's fine.
    I failed to mention I tried filler caps up without success. I suppose I can try caps up and oil cap remaining loose next. If that isn't successful maybe suspend it to determine from which end or where it's leaking. The dealer mentioned bring it back to have it checked and I may have to do that.

None of my Stihls leak oil. And I wouldn't trade them for an Echo.
    Just a question, are you using "bar" oil? I believe that bar oi is stickier and may not leak as bad. I had a C-man saw that leaked oil all the time. Can't recall which side, but it also didn't leak if I put it on it's side.

My 42 year old McCulloch leaks but very little via the chain lubricator.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Whatever oil the dealer put in is the oil that's in it.

My Stihl 066 leaks a coin sized spot if I don't use it for a few months. I don't see it as a problem as it shows the oil will flow when I need it. I also forgive it as it is about 15 years old and was a commercial logger's saw before I bought it.

The comment about oil grade is important. Bar oil is stickier and leaks less and uses less so is the cheapest to use overall. Cheers

Store it on its side with the filler cap up. I have one Echo saw, and it leaks out of the breather hole in the oil cap.

I have a little Echo CS-301 for trimming branches that leaks so much bar oil I store the saw in an empty five gallon bucket. This is not the oil filler cap leaking. Rather the bar oiler oozes oil when the saw is just sitting there not even running. Empty the oil tank or mop up the oil in the bottom of the bucket.

Blog Entries
    I have a stihl, it has always leaked a little bit of oil while in storage. It’s not really a problem, my craftsman weedwacker and pressure washer both occasionally leak whatever little gas I leave in them, which is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My 42 year old McCulloch leaks but very little via the chain lubricator.
    I had a McCulloch PM610 for almost that long. Finally broke a part I could not source and gave the saw to a young guy that wanted the motor for a scooter. That saw was a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    I have a stihl, it has always leaked a little bit of oil while in storage. It’s not really a problem, my craftsman weedwacker and pressure washer both occasionally leak whatever little gas I leave in them, which is a problem.
    At least they'll always have fresh gas.

Yep. My Poulan leaks too, unless you store it on its side.

My Echo leaks oil. I thought mine was just defective or something. Guess I'm not the only one.