Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection hood that fits? What cyclone separator to get?

Get rid of the three 90 bends and the 90 flex.
    Turn the blower on its side and mount directly to the Dust Deputy and lift the filter/bag up so the blower is inline with it.

Blog Entries
    Ya, all those tight elbows & flex will just kill the flow, especially with such a small blower. It would be much better to mount the blower inlet directly on top of the cyclone & then go straight from the blower outlet into the filter assembly.

Patrick,

I think that setup will work but the 3 90 degree fittings between the blower and the cyclone are not ideal. I also plan a 2hp DC but not to as large a tool as you have. But with DCs of this size, we can make up some the limitations of our DC with using the lowest restriction connects we can. Flex hose is the worst and has to be minimized. 4 inch pipe is worse than 5 or 6 inch. Turns hurt airflow but the more gradual we can make them the less impact.

If you put the motor above the cyclone and plumb your planner with at least 5 and preferrably 6 inch metal duct, you may get acceptable results. The bigger issue is the run to the planner. It may also be worth considering the connection at the planner. All the modern ones I've looked at have a connection above the path of the board out of the planner. That might be the first thing to try, arrange a DC suction above the discharge side of the planner and see what impact it has.

To me it looks like you have a smallish DC, with poor piping, hooked to a large planner with a bad DC configuration. It's really a quesiton of how many of these things you have to change to get acceptable results. The connection at the DC may be the cheapest and easiest change so why not start there?