Thread: Viking boat build

Viking boat build

This came up on the Old Tools list serve. Passing it along ...

https://vimeo.com/68557912?outro=1&r...yvhG8pWN7yEZJQ

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you for that link. My grandparents came from Sweden and my grandfather was a professional wood worker. Several years ago we visited the Viking ship museum. The designs are just stunning.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Well that's disappointing Derek. I thought you were starting a new build thread for one of your projects

(Thanks for sharing)
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thank you Derek, that was a really interesting documentary.

Of course, I strongly advise to go to two specific viking ships museums, in Norway the Vikingskipshuset for the more complete an beautifull original ones and in Denmark the Vikingeskibsmuseet to see a lot of reproductions on the water.

Each time I travel to Norway I go and see the Oseberg Ship...it's lines are mesmerizing.

Thanks for that, Derek. We need all the encouragement we can get.

Building a boat is an intimidating task the first time out. It's such a large and complex task that one has no idea where to begin. Fortunately, much like hand tool woodworking, there have been a few who have worked to preserve the skills and knowledge and teach the young (and not so young) how to capabilities. Here in the US, we have had fascinating demonstration projects, such as Pride of Baltimore, built in traditional fashion directly on the waterfront in full view of the public in downtown Baltimore's inner harbor. Another I know less about is the large schooner California, another such project. At a more accessible level, there are a number of boat building introductory classes at marine museums and boat building schools around the country. There are a plethora of books and YouTube videos, with the usual caveats: some very good, some mediocre, some very wrong headed and terrible. And there are a number of designers who offer stock plans, often for modest costs, and some who offer pre-cut kits suitable for first time builders with elaborate manuals and DVD guidance. Some of the kit boats are very nice little boats.

If anyone has an interest in learning more, I would be happy to respond to a PM. There are also other folks around here who may chime in at some point. SMC is not starved for boat building talent.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron