Thread: Shipping to New Zealand

Shipping to New Zealand

I had to ship a package to New Zealand and found this interesting technique. Shipping via USPS to New Zealand is VERY expensive.

New Zealand Post has a program called "YouShop" to allow New Zealanders to shop in the United States and Europe and have their packages shipped to New Zealand at lower cost. I'll describe the US system.

You register with New Zealand Post and they give you a unique ID and a shipping address in the US. For me it was Portland, OR. When you purchase something, you have the product shipped to that address and the address contains your ID number. You can also ship a package to that address yourself.

When they receive the package at the US location, they enter it in a database and contact you via email. You have to go to their website and log on with your ID, and then enter the address you want it delivered to in New Zealand - and pay the postage, which is much less expensive than USPS. It's also in New Zealand dollars which are about $0.70US.

They put the New Zealand address on your package and air ship it in a container to New Zealand with a bunch of other packages, where it is delivered by New Zealand Post.

It's slower than shipping directly with USPS since you have to ship to a US address first, and they have to notify you and then process your package, but it's a lot less expensive.

Note that this is not some third party service, it is a service of the New Zealand post office.

Too bad other countries, such as Australia, don't have the same thing.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Even shipping to Canada is expensive. Sending a few saw nuts recently was $10. The shipping cost more than the saw nuts were worth in my opinion.

If you are Amazon or whoever you can likely get a break on postage. Otherwise brick and mortar would be making a big comeback.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)