Thread: ShopFox W1668 Uh Oh

ShopFox W1668 Uh Oh

Hi Folks. Just got through putting my new ShopFox 1668 together. Some of my tools were damaged by wildfire heat here last summer. I had a Delta floor drill press, but a number of plastic parts were melted and I wasn't sure about what might have happened inside the motor casing. I also replaced my Jet midi lathe and MM16 bandsaw after spending days cleaning them for use.

Here's the problem, the W1668 made a terrible clacking noise as soon as I plugged it in. It was easy to tell where the sound was coming from and that was inside the motor at the top. I'm thinking that noise could be the fan hitting the fan shroud. I bought this tool on Amazon and it was shipped by Grizzly. I knew that I was taking a chance, but I thought it would be helpful to have an oscillating spindle sander to replace my Delta OSS and to save some space since I have a small shop. Okay, thanks for reading thus far. My question is, "who should I contact to get this fixed?" I don't want to disassemble it and return it so I'll probably have to fix it myself. I'm just hoping that someone can tell me how to proceed and who to contact. Thanks for any help.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Hi Stan,
    I have purchased many tools from Grizzly over the years. I bought a drill press from them several years ago and the motor made a very loud buzzing noise. I phoned the Grizzly customer support for help. After talking to a Grizzly technician and letting him hear the motor noise over the phone, he sent me a brand new replacement motor at no charge and did not want the noisy motor back. I am pretty sure that they would extend the same courtesy to you with your Shop Fox drill press. They sell this same ShopFox W1668 at their website as well on Amazon.
    David

https://www.grizzly.com/help/qa_support
    Grizzly Customer Service & Technical Support.jpg

Thanks David. I give them a call in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Stan,
    I have purchased many tools from Grizzly over the years. I bought a drill press from them several years ago and the motor made a very loud buzzing noise. I phoned the Grizzly customer support for help. After talking to a Grizzly technician and letting him hear the motor noise over the phone, he sent me a brand new replacement motor at no charge and did not want the noisy motor back. I am pretty sure that they would extend the same courtesy to you with your Shop Fox drill press. They sell this same ShopFox W1668 at their website as well on Amazon.
    David

https://www.grizzly.com/help/qa_support
    Grizzly Customer Service & Technical Support.jpg
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Blog Entries
    The fan under the bell cap can get cockeyed and make a racket. It is only 2 or 3 screws to remove the bell cap and the fan will be right there on the shaft. My point is this is not a big tear down to see if the fan is the problem.

G0440-cent-clutch 1.jpg . G0440-cent-clutch 2.jpg

HTH.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-19-2019 at 8:36 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Contact Amazon first. That's where you bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Contact Amazon first. That's where you bought it.
    As stated in the Grizzly Amazon listing: "Ships from and sold by Grizzly." So you will definitely want to contact Grizzly directly. The Amazon customer rep will tell you the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W166.../dp/B0000DD1BE
    Ships from and sold by Grizzly.jpg

Thanks, all. I lucked out. A friend who has a cabinet shop came by and he knows somethings about motors. He also thought it was a fan issue. He removed the bottom cover as Glenn suggested and moved the cover holes 90 degrees and re-attached the screws.. Problem solved in just minutes. There is no shroud around the fan. The motor cover must not be totally round on my machine. It now purrs like a kitten. Also, the directions are murky on how to attach the chuck. That was something that I had not done correctly because I was not aware that the morse taper had threads. Duh! Also note, there is no mention of the depth stop in the assembly insfructions even though it's shown on the parts list. I'm thankful that my issues with this machine, so far, were very minor.
    Project Salvager

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    As stated in the Grizzly Amazon listing: "Ships from and sold by Grizzly." So you will definitely want to contact Grizzly directly. The Amazon customer rep will tell you the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W166.../dp/B0000DD1BE
    Ships from and sold by Grizzly.jpg
    So the credit card payment goes to Grizzly? I thought Amazon collected the money.

Much like the relationship between Ebay and Paypal, Amazon collects the money, deducts their transaction fee, and passes the remainder on the the vendor's account. If the item description says: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." - then the buyer would definitely want to contact Amazon to resolve the issue. I hope this helps to clarify the distinction.
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 04-19-2019 at 8:55 PM.

Just general info added to what David said. Sometimes vendors will have a notice in their shipment to contact them directly (not Amazon) when something is wrong with the shipment. I've done a few returns with amazon and am very impressed with the way they handle their returns. Where I live is sort of in the boondocks. Shipping something back is pretty expensive. Also, I'm an old geezer with a messed up back and can't lift heavy stuff like table saws and lathes anymore. Then there's also the packing and crating. People like to say, "Just send it back." Easier said than done. I would rather fix it myself even if it costs a little and I have to learn how to do it. Thanks to the many nice folks on this thread. I can usually get something taken care of and/or get some valuable advice. I really do appreciate all who are always willing to help. MANY THANKS!!!!
    Project Salvager