Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation: 36 or 48" rule?

Colleagues: thanks for the information. Just need to decide exactly how much money I want to spend and how much use at age 73 years I will get out of it if I go "high end". Again, thanks.

2. You're 73. Who cares how many years you get out of it? Buy what you want, enjoy it, and don't worry about it.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I bought a Rabone Chesterman 1 meter/39" rule, 20 or more years ago. Nothing fancy, flexible, easy to read. That, paired with the 12",16" & 24" scales from my squares (and they all agree with each other) has been really all I've ever needed.

I have 36" and 48" - aluminum ones from HD.
    I have 6/12/18 from Mitutoyo and a blem 24" PEC. Got Mitutoyo rules from zoro.com with their 20-25% off promotion long back. PEC came from eBay.

IMHO PEC is not at par with Mitutoyo. If you are buying new PEC then spend a little more and buy Mitutoyo or similar.

If buying blem PEC then buy from reputable dealer on eBay who would accept returns. I have had good experience with Taylor Tools. Do read the rule thickness. There is a flexible and a rigid version of the rule available. I like rigid ones.

Between 36" and 48", I would suggest 36". I find 48" little too big, so don't use it until and unless needed. If these are meant for one off use then save money and get cheap aluminum ones - even Starrett makes some for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I never use a rule longer than 24" and reach for a tape measure for longer. Do you guys use the longer rules enough where you reach for them over a tape?
    All the time. For every project I do, my Starrett is out on the bench.
    I use it to set my fences, mark layouts, and being made of steel it's fairly heavy and can be used as an edge guide for routers and circular saws. I also use it to align the track sections for my track saws.
    For most house type projects, how many milled pieces are over 6' long?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    My 4' straight edge is a Starret #387. Very accurate (0.0002" per foot) and would be very expensive to replace.

BUT the smallest division is 1/32". Frankly for wood working I can't imagine the need for a 1/64 division.

Can someone enlighten me why such small divisions would be desirable?

Bill
    Every now and then I'm asked to recreate a broken, or missing section, of a piece of furniture, where the dimension was based on whatever ruler was at hand a hundred years ago. It's easier to mark cut to the 64th, than cut to a "skinny", or "fat" 32nd. Not often, but sometimes.
    For most wood working, not including machine setup, and very small projects, a 32nd is more than adequate.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)