Thread: 2 Gavels & Sound blocks

2 Gavels & Sound blocks

At the last wood workers meeting I was asked if I would turn 2 Gavels and blocks, as most are flat wood working, and I’m the turner they expect can turn things like that, well I can turn wood .

Anyway I first had to find out what or if there were dimensions for these things, well not really, but often they are about 11” total length for the gavel and the block about 4 inches D.

Looked at pictures and many where Black Walnut, so decided it would be anything but Black Walnut, and not like the commercial ones you can buy.

Went to my wood stash for something hard and solid with a bit more color and grain, found some pieces of Honey Locust that had been sitting for 14 years, I figured they’d be dry by now .

Handle was to be something else, and I choose some Mulberry for that.

Started turning and drilling and made these 2 Gavels with sound blocks, one of the sound blocks had a small bit of bark inclusion, picked that out and filled it with some copper powder, and that are the ones in the pictures.

Gavels length is 12” and 4” X 2” hammer head, the Blocks are 4.5 “.

Any and all comments welcome as always
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-18-2019 at 9:12 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Having looked at the pieces and pictures, I decided to turn new sound blocks rather than using the ones I made in the pictures above, I like the new ones better.

Any and all comments appreciated .

Attachment 408348 Attachment 408349

The lighting is playing tricks with the colors of the pictures, sorry for that .
    Have fun and take care

Pics are not opening, Leo. Not even in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Do you see the thumbnails or nothing? Are you getting an error message? What browser? Are you using the Full version of SMC or the Mobile version?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you see the thumbnails or nothing? Are you getting an error message? What browser? Are you using the Full version of SMC or the Mobile version?
    I don't see it either. I get this. "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    I'm using Chrome.

To quote Sgt Schultz, "I see nothing."

Getting an error message like Daryl's.

I use Chrome.

Full.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I don't see it either. I get this. "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    I'm using Chrome.
    That is the exact error message I see if I access SMC in the Mobile mode. Could you be using that? (It doesn't have to be a mobile device - you can turn on Mobile mode in any browser either on purpose or by accident.)

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen - if you see "Log Out / Full Site / Top" at the bottom center the browser is in the Mobile mode. Click Full Site to get back to the normal vB4 Default style. If not, I don't have a clue.

JKJ

Firefox and win 10 works OK.

Stu

The gavel and sound block pictures reposted

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Sorry Eugene, I have uploaded the pictures in the normal manner, I can try to reload all the pictures again, and maybe that will make a difference.

And thanks for bringing this to my attention

Here are they again, Honey Locust gavel heads and sound blocks, and Mulberry handle.

Gavels and soundblocks.jpgGavels on soundblocks.jpgsoundblocks & gavels.jpg

The new sound blocks and the old ones
    new soundblocks.jpgSound blocks.jpg
    Have fun and take care

That is the exact error message I see if I access SMC in the Mobile mode. Could you be using that?

JKJ
    I'm not in mobile mode. I'm viewing the whole site.
    I can see the attachments on Leo's repost, but still unable to see them on his original post.
    BTW, I like the new ones better Leo!!!

cool! Thanks. Still seeing "[SIGPIC]" in your signature.

Very nice Leo, I see the grain is correctly aligned on the handle. Did you use walnut for the "wedge"? Honeylocust is such a nice hard wood, and finishes very nicely, and mulberry is a wonderful compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    Very nice Leo, I see the grain is correctly aligned on the handle. Did you use walnut for the "wedge"? Honeylocust is such a nice hard wood, and finishes very nicely, and mulberry is a wonderful compliment.
    Thanks for looking and comment Jason , the wedges are Blackwood, made them from a small piece sitting in my shop for years, to nice to throw out and to small to really make something out of it, found a use for it finally
    Have fun and take care