Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wayward Grocery Carts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    What is a grocery cart? My wife goes out and there is food in the back of the car when she comes home. It's magic I think.
    You have discovered the secret magic of life. We have a magic fridge and freezer that's always full, magic pantry, breadbox, and cookie jar, magic ice tea container, magic cabinets full of clean dishes, even a magic bathroom cabinet, and a magic sock drawer. I have pill containers where my vitamins and such appear in little magic compartments. Even the bills, tax returns, birthday cards, and wedding gifts are taken care of by magic here.

I can almost see a pattern here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    What is a grocery cart? My wife goes out and there is food in the back of the car when she comes home. It's magic I think.
    I'm looking forward to the day when I can send a self-driving car to pick up the groceries. Presumably from a self-driving grocery cart.

John we just need the magic lumber rack in the shop that always has the wood we need.

Alan there will come a day when 2 self driving cars full of groceries crash and the contents are scattered all over the road. The homeless guys self filling carts will show up and all the food will be picked up starting with the liquor first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Please, no politics!

The thread title had me going in a different direction. I remember a high wind had picked up a cart and it was speeding across the lot. Someone with a nice pickup had had parked far away from all the other cars. Of course the cart had targeted the pickup and headed in full speed ahead. I was on the other side of the lot watching as the cart hit the pickup hard enough to make it rock.

Grocery carts are inherently evil. Their errant behavior proves it.

-Tom
    Maybe they are driven by the disgruntled ghosts of shoppers past.

Has anyone ever been gruntled?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Has anyone ever been gruntled?
    I live a gruntled life.

I had to look up "gruntle". It's etymology is interesting, coming into use in an unusual way:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gruntle

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I always have to test roll a couple before I get one that's not aggravating.
    It's aggravating to try several carts from line because they get entangled with each other by the straps on the child seats. I rarely see children sitting in the child seats on carts. I recall trying it as a child and it was too painful to endure. The local Albertsons has a type of cart with a child seat that doesn't fold up and doesnt have straps. These carts don't get tangled up with each other, but I've never seen a child sitting in the child seat.

It is magic as you can order groceries online and they show up at your door in a couple of hours.

Every time I go to the local groc store, I get a cart that pulls to the Cheetos aisle. I can't figure out the physics behind it, but there is no questioning that it happens.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

9. There's a grocery store near us that uses the motorized retrieval units too (Winco). I think they run on batteries because I heard a kid telling the supervisor he couldn't bring in any carts because someone didn't plug in one unit and the second unit had just run out of charge. I think the supe reminded him of how to shag carts w/o a machine.

BTW --- those units aren't much good when there's some good snow on the ground. Carts don't like to roll in 4+ inches of snow.

10. Same happens to me but I end up in the beer aisle.

One local Grocery company charges a 25 cent deposit on the cart. Almost all carts are returned to the corral at the store entrance so the deposit can be retrieved from the cart. (Aldi's) Our local walmart has many customers who live in apartments a mile or so east of the store. They run a truck over to the apartment complexes to pick up carts every few days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Pritchard View Post
    There's a grocery store near us that uses the motorized retrieval units too (Winco). I think they run on batteries because I heard a kid telling the supervisor he couldn't bring in any carts because someone didn't plug in one unit and the second unit had just run out of charge. I think the supe reminded him of how to shag carts w/o a machine.

BTW --- those units aren't much good when there's some good snow on the ground. Carts don't like to roll in 4+ inches of snow.
    That is the same chain here that has the electric carts to help round up the carts.

We don't usually have that much snow and people don't tend to push carts to their cars, let alone go out shopping, if there is that much snow on the ground.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Go by an Aldi's and see if there are any carts just resting in the parking lot. If you haven't shopped an Aldi's, you have to insert a quarter to get a cart, which you get back when you return cart. I've seen people pushing a cart back in a blinding rain storm, just to get their quarter back. Grand son and I thought about on a rainy day getting a cart and chaining it to a light pole just to see how many people would try to use it to keep from spending a quarter, whcih they get back
    I remember growing up in NNJ (25-30 years ago) and the Shop Rite in town did this. The carts were always neatly put back. And if someone did put it back, you’d better believe it was quickly put back by someone else who wanted that quarter!

I don’t know why more grocery stores do this.

Winco is the only store I know that thought about the cart corral location and design. They are set up so they are pull through in a straight line. That way the push them forward and never have to backup. they are also lined up so they do not have to weave up and down the parking lot but sweep from one end to the other.
    I have only seen one parking lot that was designed for pedestrians. It has sidewalks for people to walk and be safe from roaming cars. All other lots have zero protection for pedestrians and low hedges and trees so people have no where to walk safely.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I remember growing up in NNJ (25-30 years ago) and the Shop Rite in town did this. The carts were always neatly put back. And if someone did put it back, you’d better believe it was quickly put back by someone else who wanted that quarter!

I don’t know why more grocery stores do this.
    We made a switch to the quarter carts at the company I worked for. Did not last long. Customers were mad.

You hope people would just be considerate and return the cart anyway. Kinda sad if you think about it.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 05-13-2019 at 9:05 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale