Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wayward Grocery Carts

Wayward Grocery Carts

Lately the grocery carts always seem to pull to the right. Is this caused by the Coriolis effect? Anyone on the other top of the world notice that your carts lead left?

Hadn't noticed the carts going to the right. But I always seem to get the ones with a squeaky wheel. And no, I don't get any extra attention with them.

The problem with them is when they go to bring a bunch of them back in at one time, and drag the wheels sideways. If they didn't do that, they would probably roll fine for a lot longer. Seems like no one in the grocery business is smart enough to figure that out. I always have to test roll a couple before I get one that's not aggravating.

I always get the wheel thumper carts - something stuck on one of the wheels or a flat spot on one of the wheels.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Lately the grocery carts always seem to pull to the right. Is this caused by the Coriolis effect? Anyone on the other top of the world notice that your carts lead left?
    Maybe it's you. Have you had your alignment checked lately?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The problem with them is when they go to bring a bunch of them back in at one time, and drag the wheels sideways. If they didn't do that, they would probably roll fine for a lot longer. Seems like no one in the grocery business is smart enough to figure that out. I always have to test roll a couple before I get one that's not aggravating.

Funny, People that worked in the grocery business always figured the customer should put the cart back where they found it in the first place. They would last longer that way.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

LOL...just had a left turning one this morning.... by the time I was finished shopping my left arm was tired from trying to point it right all the time....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    LOL...just had a left turning one this morning.... by the time I was finished shopping my left arm was tired from trying to point it right all the time....
    I also had one at Pet Smart that was definitely inclined to turn left more than it wanted to go straight or turn right.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Funny, People that worked in the grocery business always figured the customer should put the cart back where they found it in the first place. They would last longer that way.
    Go by an Aldi's and see if there are any carts just resting in the parking lot. If you haven't shopped an Aldi's, you have to insert a quarter to get a cart, which you get back when you return cart. I've seen people pushing a cart back in a blinding rain storm, just to get their quarter back. Grand son and I thought about on a rainy day getting a cart and chaining it to a light pole just to see how many people would try to use it to keep from spending a quarter, whcih they get back

I often get the ones with the wobble wheels!

Blog Entries
    One market we shop has a system where attendants use a motorized 'engine' to return carts. They are returned through a door far from the entrance to the store. Their carts all seem to track petty well. It is weird pulling in and having to wait for a long train of carts going by.

At the other market we shop often my tendency is to keep track of which carts are new and wich ones are old. When a cart is picked it is pushed one handed in the center of the guide bar. It doesn't have to go more than a foot or two to let me know whether or not it will behave.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, I tend to lean to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Yes, I tend to lean to the left
    Please, no politics!

The thread title had me going in a different direction. I remember a high wind had picked up a cart and it was speeding across the lot. Someone with a nice pickup had had parked far away from all the other cars. Of course the cart had targeted the pickup and headed in full speed ahead. I was on the other side of the lot watching as the cart hit the pickup hard enough to make it rock.

Grocery carts are inherently evil. Their errant behavior proves it.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I remember a high wind had picked up a cart and it was speeding across the lot. ... I was on the other side of the lot watching as the cart hit the pickup hard enough to make it rock.
    Grocery carts are inherently evil. Their errant behavior proves it.
    Ah HA! This is a case for only using elderly carts with wheels that thump, drag, or can't travel in a straight line by themselves. They couldn't get up to speed like that! We need a law. Contact your congressman.

Perhaps carts are born evil but mellow in their ways with age and enlightenment, like many of us.

JKJ

What is a grocery cart? My wife goes out and there is food in the back of the car when she comes home. It's magic I think.