Thread: Bandsaw Stabilizer Bearing?

Blog Entries

Bandsaw Stabilizer Bearing?

On a recent episode of The American Woodworker the bandsaw was set up with a slotted stabilizer bearing at the back of the blade which allowed for use without side bearings. This allows smaller blades to flex a bit in the cut to facilitate tighter radius cutting.

A quick search found one assembly available for ~$100 after shipping.

Does anyone know of sources for just a bearing that can be fitted to my present system for a lower price.

My bandsaw is a Jet 14" model with 12" re-saw.

TIA,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sounds like you are describing the Carter Stabilizer. On the Carter website for your saw I think it would be 79.95. Louis Iturra sells them too. I am not aware of a knock-off or a poor man's version.

If by chance you had euro guides, there is a way to make a narrow wood block with a slot cut in it that can be clamped between the guides but I am guessing you either have cool blocks or roller bearing guides on your saw.

If you do much tight scroll cutting, a Carter Stabilizer can definitely be worth it, but the typical complaint is the inconvenience of installing and removing it. If your guides are cool blocks, you might try simulating the CS by springing the blade a tiny bit with the thrust bearing and running the guides fairly tight. Cutting technique plays a role in this also because without the groove, the blade can still twist if you are cutting really tight curves.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.

I would think that Carter would stock the replacement bearing.

I have their setup on a 10" band saw with a 3/16" blade and it works great.

Edwin and Ken are correct that it sounds like the Carter Stabilizer. I bought one last November from Peachtree Wordworking's Cyber Monday 15% off sale. It works very well; yes, there is some time involved in setting up but not much more than an additional few minutes involved in changing to a 3/16 blade anyway.

Do a search for Alex Snodgrass's (yes that's his name) video on band saw set up. Most likely it includes the Carter stabilizer